10 things every Alabama fan needs to know today
Nick Saban got his first official 2016 signee, another recruit turned him down and the legendary coach gave his thoughts on Kirby Smart and Jeremy Pruitt — all in a day’s work. Happy Thursday.
Here are 10 things to know:
- Say hello to Charles Baldwin, Crimson Tide fans. The 4-star offensive tackle is Alabama’s first 2016 commit to sign his official letter of intent.
- On the flip side, say goodbye to the chances of landing running back recruit Lamical Perine. The 3-star recruit is from Alabama and Saban wanted him, but Perine has made it clear Florida is his choice.
- It’s been a long road, but defensive end Christian Bell is finally signing on with the Crimson Tide after grayshirting.
- Time to vote for your favorites again. Auburn running back Bo Jackson or ‘Bama wide receiver David Palmer?
- Alabama wide receiver Amari Cooper or UGA quarterback Aaron Murray?
- Last but certainly not least, a matchup of running backs: Alabama’s Derrick Henry or South Carolina’s Marcus Lattimore?
- Alabama’s offensive line won the Joe Moore award for being the nation’s best O-line. The award came with a massive trophy.
- It also came with a free dinner, courtesy of Henry.
- Jeremy Pruitt will take the reins of the defense next season as the new defensive coordinator. Saban made it perfectly clear that Pruitt had no competition for the job.
- Kirby Smart is staying loyal to Alabama through the College Football Playoff and won’t leave until the team’s run is over. That might not be the best decision for him, though, according to Saban.
Other Alabama news from around the Internet
- The Crimson Tide had their first College Football Playoff practice Wednesday. Here’s Nick Saban on video talking about the Cotton Bowl, from AL.com’s Vasha Hunt.
- Saban and Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio go way back. Saban had nothing but high praise for his old friend Wednesday, the Detroit News’ Lynn Henning wrote.
- Former Alabama defensive back Jonathan Cook will officially suit up for Memphis next season as a transfer, AL.com’s Matt Zenitz wrote.
- To refresh your memory: Cook was dismissed from the team in June. AL.com’s Michael Casagrande caught up with Cook’s mother when it happened.
- Get an in-depth Alabama recruiting update with names and stats of upcoming ‘Bama players from SB Nation.
The best stories around the SEC
- Archie Manning is pumped to see his alma mater in the Sugar Bowl again.
- Several coaches across the country — including in the SEC — are headed back to their alma maters. SEC Country took a look at what the results were for coaches who have done that same thing in the past.
- It’s been rumored Texas A&M quarterback Kyler Murray is transferring. His coach addressed those rumblings.
- According to a report, Texas A&M wide receiver Speedy Noil has been suspended for the Aggies’ bowl game.
- Marcus Lattimore came back to South Carolina to earn his degree, which he’ll receive in May. After that, the former Gamecocks running back will join Will Muschamp’s staff.