11 things every Alabama fan needs to know today
Happy Monday, Alabama fans! There is so much Alabama news today that it’s actually kind of crazy. We’re not going to waste any time, so let’s go.
Here are 11 things to know:
- After Alabama running back Derrick Henry and Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott both had big games Saturday, the two complimented each other on Twitter.
- See how Alabama alumni reacted to the Iron Bowl win.
- Alabama got strong marks for its SEC Country report card this week.
- The Crimson Tide are the heavy favorites to win the SEC Championship game against Florida.
- ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit still has the Crimson Tide at No. 2 in his Playoff rankings.
- UGA fired its coach, Mark Richt, on Sunday. According to a report, Alabama’s defensive coordinator Kirby Smart could be a strong candidate to replace Richt.
- Florida coach Jim McElwain thinks Smart is certainly cut out to be a head coach.
- The Crimson Tide are still No. 2 in the AP Poll.
- The nation’s No. 1 junior college kicker, an Alabama commit, posted a picture with Florida coach Jim McElwain on Sunday morning.
- Florida is the obvious underdog heading into the SEC Championship game against Alabama, which has bigger goals ahead.
- The country’s No. 1 outside linebacker will announce his college decision Dec. 4.
Other Alabama news from around the Internet
- Some reports are saying defensive coordinator Kirby Smart could be a candidate for the UGA job. But AL.com’s John Talty wrote that Nick Saban is saying Smart hasn’t been contacted by any schools.
- Saban was very candid with his thoughts on Richt’s firing, saying “it’s a miserable time of year in this profession,” AL.com’s Matt Zenitz wrote.
- Even though Alabama is the favorite, Saban still thinks Florida is a threat, AL.com’s Michael Casagrande wrote.
- Cecil Hurt, of the Tuscaloosa News, has a new column on Henry and the Crimson Tide continuing to chip away.
The best stories around the SEC
- By now it’s well known that UGA fired Richt on Sunday. Where could he end up next?
- Former UGA and current NFL running back Todd Gurley was not happy at all when he learned Richt was dismissed.
- Here’s how the national media responded to the news.
- With Richt leaving, junior outside linebacker Leonard Floyd has officially decided he has no reason to stay at UGA anymore. He’ll head to the NFL draft.
- All of these reactions raise the question: What really went wrong for Richt?