It seemed like a normal day for Alabama fans until late Tuesday night, when news broke that a familiar Alabama face wouldn’t be on the sidelines next year. Let’s dive in.
Here are 11 things to know:
- Be ready to say goodbye to defensive coordinator Kirby Smart. Barring anything crazy, he’s going to be UGA’s next head coach.
- According to a report, Smart wants to bring Will Muschamp with him to UGA.
- No surprises here, Derrick Henry is still the Heisman trophy frontrunner.
- Part of the reason for Henry’s success is his size.
- At least seven national writers all believe Alabama will play in the Cotton Bowl of the College Football Playoff.
- Despite Tennessee’s struggles against Alabama, the Vols’ athletic director has no plans to stop playing the Crimson Tide in the annual rivalry.
- There are lots of names out there for the Miami opening, but Alabama offensive coordinator’s Mario Cristobal might not be one of them.
- Muschamp really cost his Tigers when his penalty put them further behind Alabama in the Iron Bowl.
- This will blow your mind. An Alabama kicker drilled a 77-yard (!) field goal in practice.
- The College Football Playoff rankings came out again. Alabama is at No. 2 again.
- The committee did think a lot about having Alabama assume the No. 1 position instead of Clemson, though.
Other Alabama news from around the Internet
- More on that Clemson-Alabama Playoff debate, from AL.com’s Michael Casagrande.
- AL.com’s John Talty breaks down some bowl scenarios and what they mean for the Crimson Tide.
- Alabama quarterback Jake Coker has his work cut out for him against Florida, AL.com’s Matt Zenitz wrote.
- NBC Sports’ Kevin McGuire shares what he thinks will happen if Clemson or Alabama lose this weekend.
The best stories around the SEC
- UGA commits are on board with Smart taking over the program.
- Smart’s next move will be to build his coaching staff at UGA. Here’s who he could bring in.
- While Smart is going back to his alma matter, perhaps Mark Richt could go back to his, too. Richt is talking with Miami.
- UGA’s current defensive coordinator, Jeremy Pruitt, is in the running for the South Carolina job according to a report.
- Speaking of South Carolina, Steve Spurrier wrote a letter to the Gamecock fans detailing why he resigned.