12 things every Alabama fan needs to know today
What’s up, Alabama fans? I hope you have plenty of time on your hands this fine Tuesday because, holy cow, there is so much Alabama news this week. Buckle up.
Here are 12 things to know:
- This’ll start your Tuesday off on a high note: Alabama is the heavy favorite to win the national championship.
- What’s college football without a healthy dose of tension? On Monday, Ohio State wide receiver Mike Thomas called out Alabama’s strength of schedule on Twitter.
- It didn’t go unnoticed. Alabama cornerback Cyrus Jones fired back from his own account.
- Apparently Thomas isn’t alone, though, in thinking Alabama doesn’t deserve its high ranking. A national radio host had some tough words for the SEC as a whole.
- Nick Saban believes that Florida will be the best team Alabama has played all year and he’s not going to say otherwise.
- SEC Country thinks Derrick Henry has basically already locked up the Heisman Trophy. Check out this week’s SEC Revelations.
- Henry is closing in on Tim Tebow’s single-season SEC rushing touchdown record, but he refuses to compare himself to one of the SEC’s best ever.
- Alabama’s defense has dominated opponents all season long, and this weekend was no exception. In this week’s SEC Film Room, SEC Country breaks down exactly how that defense limited Auburn.
- On the opposite side of the ball, the offense could really use senior running back Kenyan Drake to provide the spark it needs.
- Defensive coordinator Kirby Smart is a UGA alum, and according to a report, he’s the Bulldogs’ “only choice” to replace Mark Richt.
- Saban knows that Smart is a powerhouse coach, and he touched on what exactly makes Smart so good.
- If Smart leaves, who will replace him?
Other Alabama news from around the Internet
- Get your practice update from AL.com’s Michael Casagrande.
- Kenyan Drake is hoping to be back for the SEC championship game. He went through drills in practice Monday with not one, but two footballs, AL.com’s John Talty wrote.
- Saban has set such a high standard that some think he’s the reason other SEC coaches are getting fired, Talty also wrote.
- Here’s more on that same subject from the Times Daily’s Alex Byington.
- In Alabama basketball news, the Crimson Tide came away with a huge victory Sunday when they upset No. 17 Notre Dame, Chris Girandola wrote in a piece special to the Tuscaloosa News.
The best stories around the SEC
- Mark Richt’s not wasting any time in finding a new coaching job, if the reports that he’s talking with Maryland are true.
- The Kentucky basketball team beat Illinois State, but it wasn’t pretty. Coach John Calipari had no problem admitting that.
- According to a report, Missouri is set to interview Utah State coach Matt Wells to replace Gary Pinkel.
- According to another report, Missouri is interested in Richt.
- A 5-star UGA recruit is set to visit Florida to explore his other options now that Richt is out.