12 things every Alabama fan needs to know today
The wait is over. Derrick Henry is your Heisman winner, Alabama fans. Enjoy!
Here are 12 things to know:
- Henry is only the second Alabama player ever to win the prestigious award.
- After he won, Henry dedicated the trophy to a former Alabama teammate who died in a car accident in October.
- Nick Saban sang Henry’s praises after he won the award.
- See how other Alabama players and those around the country reacted to the news.
- See what fellow finalist Deshaun Watson said about Henry and what he has done for Alabama this year.
- Henry sometimes spends his free time watching YouTube highlights of one of his icons, also a Heisman winner.
- Who will replace Jake Coker next season as the starting quarterback? A highly-touted transfer student could be on Alabama’s radar.
- Alabama has officially hired UGA’s Jeremy Pruitt to serve as the Crimson Tide’s new defensive coordinator.
- He still has four more official visits — including one to ‘Bama — but it doesn’t sound like Miami commit Sam Bruce will go back on his commitment to the Hurricanes.
- Army and Navy squared up for their annual rivalry Saturday. One midshipman thinks Navy could handle Alabama.
- He’s known as one of college football’s best, but Saban played a little basketball with a recruit this week.
- A 4-star wide receiver out of Florida will visit Alabama this upcoming weekend.
Other Alabama news from around the Internet
- In Henry’s Heisman acceptance speech, he was sure to thank his grandmother for all she’s done for him throughout his life. His grandmother couldn’t make it to the ceremony, so Henry’s family held a celebration in her hospital room. AL.com’s Joseph Goodman was there to capture the touching moment.
- TideSports.com’s Aaron Suttles was in New York, where Henry won the Heisman. Here’s more on Henry’s night. Also check out Suttles’ Twitter for pictures and quotes from the event.
- Alabama has a video of Henry’s experience leading up to winning the award.
- See how former Alabama players reacted to the Jeremy Pruitt news, from AL.com’s Matt Zenitz.
- Also from Zenitz: how the Crimson Tide reacted to Henry’s big night, as well as the national media.
The best stories around the SEC
- LSU’s Leonard Fournette wasn’t in the top three for the Heisman, but he still got nearly a dozen first-place votes.
- Find out what tactic Kentucky coach John Calipari tried out in practice to make freshman forward Skal Labissiere tougher.
- Does Mark Richt think Miami and UGA could meet in the national championship one day?
- According to a report, two Mississippi State linebackers have been arrested.
- UGA has named a new offensive coordinator.