SEC Champs. No other intro needed. Happy Sunday, Crimson Tide fans.
Here are 13 things to know:
- More so than with any other team, Nick Saban wanted this year’s squad to succeed.
- After the win, Saban confidently said that Alabama deserves a Playoff spot.
- See how ‘Bama players reacted to the win.
- As usual, Saban’s defense was dominant.
- After the game, some fan took Jake Coker’s hat.
- Alabama running back Derrick Henry broke a 34-year-old SEC rushing record Saturday. He’s now in the same conversation as some of his childhood heroes. Is he as good as Herschel Walker, though? Check out the numbers.
- In Friday’s press conference, Florida coach Jim McElwain shot reporters straight: “I’m not really excited about playing those creatures.” He also spoke on what Saban has been able to do with the program.
- Henry might be the most sure-fire Heisman winner we’ve seen in a while.
- Right when it happened, the CBS announcers predicted Saban would be furious with Tony Brown and his penalty. They were right — Saban went off.
- Watch the Crimson Tide block a punt and a field goal to open the SEC title game.
- Senior running back Kenyan Drake is healthy again.
- Alabama players confirmed Kirby Smart is leaving for UGA. But even before Alabama had really acknowledged it, Saban essentially confirmed his departure when the coach got emotional talking about him. Smart will likely try to split time between UGA and Alabama for December.
- Greg McElroy and Mark Sanchez tried to tease Tim Tebow about Florida losing to Alabama in 2009. It didn’t really work, though. The former Gators quarterback seems to be at peace with the way that game ended years ago.
Other Alabama news from around the Internet
- More on Smart and his plan to stay with the Crimson Tide through their run at the title, AL.com’s John Talty wrote.
- Henry was obviously the story of the day, but Alabama’s wide receivers had a strong performance, too, AL.com’s Matt Zenitz wrote.
- Read about senior running back Kenyan Drake’s day coming back from injury, from AL.com’s Michael Casagrande.
- Check out The Tuscaloosa News’ Cecil Hurt’s column after the win.
The best stories around the SEC
- Smart has done a dominant job with Alabama’s defense. That has him poised to be a successful head coach.
- Alabama’s receivers made quarterback Jake Coker look good Saturday.
- According to a report, Auburn defensive coordinator Will Muschamp is going to South Carolina.
- The Arizona athletic director said South Carolina offered Rich Rodriguez, but he declined.
- The SEC East is still lagging behind.
NEXT Numbers don’t lie: Alabama RB Derrick Henry’s 2015 season better than Herschel Walker’s, Bo Jackson’s best