14 things every Alabama fan needs to know today
It’s the weekend and Derrick Henry has absolutely cleaned up these last few days with the awards. He got three more Thursday. There’s no game this weekend, but there’s no shortage of talking points for ‘Bama fans this weekend.
Here are 14 things to know:
- Henry took home the Maxwell Award, becoming the first running back to do so in 13 years. The Maxwell Football Club honored him as the nation’s best player.
- Henry also won the Doak Walker award, given to the nation’s top running back. He beat out Stanford’s Christian McCaffrey and LSU’s Leonard Fournette.
- Make it three — Henry won the Walter Camp Award, given to college football’s player of the year.
- Wanna see Henry’s Heisman Trophy trailer? Here it is.
- The picture seems to tell the story, but the SEC is saying it actually didn’t crop out Henry’s tattoos in what turned into a controversial tweet Wednesday.
- Henry wasn’t the only Alabama player to take home the hardware. Ryan Kelly won the Rimington Trophy, given to the country’s top center.
- Florida cornerback Vernon Hargreaves III has matched up with plenty of talented wide receivers in his SEC career. The best? Former Alabama star Amari Cooper.
- Not a typo: Nick Saban visited some recruits and made a helicopter entrance to do so.
- Alabama’s freshmen did well this year. Four of them were named to the SEC All-Freshman team.
- If Oklahoma beats Clemson and ‘Bama beats Michigan State, the Sooners and Crimson Tide will meet in the national title game. Oklahoma knows the Crimson Tide are a little bigger than what they’re used to.
- LSU, Ole Miss, Alabama and Arkansas are all vying for the same 4-star running back.
- Arkansas took care of Ole Miss, which allowed Alabama to claim the SEC West. Now, Tuscaloosa has an awesome mural of Arkansas coach Bret Bielema to remember that day.
- Alabama has been here before, in the College Football Playoff. That experience should help the Crimson Tide this year.
- UGA’s Jeremy Pruitt could be Alabama’s next defensive coordinator.
Other Alabama news from around the Internet
- SB Nation’s Bill Connelly used S&P+ win probabilities to determine what the four College Football Playoff teams’ chances were of winning the title. The Crimson Tide led, having a 42 percent chance of winning the whole thing.
- Former Oklahoma coach Barry Switzer reflected on some of his memories of Bear Bryant and Nick Saban, AL.com’s John Talty wrote.
- Check out this tweet from the Times Daily’s Alex Byington: Henry’s thoughts on Saban dancing.
- Sports Illustrated’s Colin Becht breaks down why Henry is deserving of the Heisman.
The best stories around the SEC
- Check out this feature on Kentucky point guard Tyler Ulis and his journey up until this point.
- Texas A&M quarterback Kyle Allen has decided to transfer.
- According to a report, Florida State’s defensive coordinator is expected to occupy the same role at Auburn now that Will Muschamp has been hired at South Carolina.
- Ole Miss wide receiver Laquon Treadwell is weighing out all of his options before making the decision on whether to stay in school or go pro.
- Highlighted by Henry, the SEC did well in the College Football Awards show Thursday night.