Two more days, Alabama fans. It’s crazy to think that you’ve been waiting for weeks for the Cotton Bowl to come and now it’s finally on the horizon. It’s the best time of the year and we have plenty of news for you to catch up on as you pass the time. Nick Saban even sang a Disney song on Monday. Ready?
Here are 15 things to know:
- We’ll start with defensive coordinator Kirby Smart. Soon, Smart will stop juggling ‘Bama and UGA duties and turn his focus solely toward the Bulldogs. In the meantime, a national title could be the best prep for his new job.
- Smart had plenty of nice things to say about Michigan State quarterback Connor Cook, who will test the Alabama defense Thursday.
- Smart may be in Dallas with Alabama but UGA is still on his mind — specifically, a recruit he wants to flip from the Crimson Tide to the Bulldogs.
- Smart was hopeful that he could get Alabama strength and conditioning coach Scott Cochran to join him at UGA, but he was still gracious when Cochran decided to stay at Alabama.
- Check out everything Smart said in his press conference Monday via this transcript.
- It seems like so long ago, but remember when Alabama lost to Ole Miss? Michigan State took notes.
- Calvin Ridley will go down in Alabama history as one of the school’s best receivers. His younger brother now has Alabama in his top 2 schools.
- One of the Southeast’s best wide receivers also has Alabama in his top 2, along with Florida State.
- Alabama’s defense has been dominant all season. The team’s newest commit is impressed with the defensive line, specifically.
- Good news came early for this recruit out of Georgia — Michael Allen wasn’t expecting Alabama to offer him as quickly as it did.
- Don’t be confused by reports about the nation’s No. 5 cornerback. They’re not quite true.
- 4-star prospect Landon Dickerson will take his official visit to Alabama in January, but several SEC schools are after him.
- The nation’s top outside linebacker has three finalists — including Alabama — but where he goes from there is still uncertain.
- It’s been a big day in recruiting news if you can’t already tell. Alabama offered the nation’s No. 5 athlete.
- We saved the best for last: Saban and some players sang Aladdin to some children in the hospital. Awesome.
Other Alabama news from around the Internet
- Smart has made it clear: the decision to coach ‘Bama through the College Football Playoff was an obvious one, AL.com’s John Talty wrote.
- You’re never too old to ask your dad for advice. Smart still does, as you’ll see in this video from AL.com’s Laura Goldman.
- Lane Kiffin doesn’t have head coaching job offers, but luckily for Kiffin, he loves his role at Alabama, USA Today’s Dan Wolken wrote.
- CBSSports’ Robby Kalland broke down why Alabama will win the national championship.
The best stories around the SEC
- SEC Country ranked the SEC coaches in order of their job security.
- Tennessee and Northwestern might be competing on the football field, but they joined together to spend time with some children in a Tampa hospital.
- Check out the best offensive players in the SEC since 1982.
- LSU and Texas Tech square off today. Here’s everything you should know.
- Kentucky has made a strong hire with its new offensive coordinator.