MOBILE, Ala. — If there’s one absolute from watching the South team practice once in full and through about 45 minutes of the team’s second go-around Wednesday, former Alabama running Kenyan Drake is fast. And it’s not just supplemental speed.
Drake has an extra gear that no other running back here at the Senior Bowl has. He’s got a top end that that would make Ferrari owners drool, and we’re not sure where he’ll red line yet.
In 9-on-7 drills, Drake burst through the line and absolutely smashed former Duke safety Jeremy Cash. He also caught a pass in the flat in a 1-on-1 drill and stopped and changed direction so quickly, the defensive back could only turn his head and watch Drake zoom by.
Teammate Jarran Reed offered advice to would-be tacklers Tuesday night, guidance Cash probably could have used.
“He runs behind his pads,” Reed said. “If you’re coming to hit him, you’d better come to hit him, because he’s going to bring some force with him.
“Some people try to think of him as a little speed back, a break-out runner. He’ll run up in it between the tackles and bring you something you wouldn’t expect.”
As for blocking, Drake had a rough practice Tuesday and he said he wanted to show progress from Day 1 to Day 2, knowing he could not completely fix his deficiency. Through five reps of a pass-protection drill, Drake completely won two battles and performed markedly better Wednesday than the day prior.
Drake hasn’t learned to protect the quarterback overnight, but he showed definite progress.
More from the 2016 Senior Bowl:
- 4 SEC players with the most to lose at Senior Bowl
- 4 SEC players with the most to prove at Senior Bowl
- Alabama LB Reggie Ragland on RB Kenyan Drake: ‘He made me look funny out there’
- 2016 Senior Bowl: Reggie Ragland on his move to OLB
- 2016 Senior Bowl: Reggie Ragland confident he ‘can play it all’ in NFL
- Alabama coaches forced Kenyan Drake to dress up, fool Auburn in Iron Bowl
- Missouri teammates on Maty Mauk video: ‘He’s got some things to fix that are bigger than football’
- LSU DB Jalen Mills: QB’s avoided throwing my way ‘most of the time’
- 2016 Senior Bowl: Alabama RB Kenyan Drake shows explosiveness, also shows glaring weakness in first practice
- 2016 Senior Bowl: Alabama LB Reggie Ragland blows by competition in first practice
- 2016 Senior Bowl: Alabama CB Cyrus Jones welcomes playing ‘press’ coverage at the NFL level
- UGA WR Malcolm Mitchell done with ‘What if’ on to watch what ‘I can do’ next
- 2016 Senior Bowl: Arkansas RB Jonathan Williams lost his senior season, gained ‘intelligence’
- Alabama QB Jake Coker enjoying Senior Bowl in hometown: ‘Sometimes I wonder why people want my autograph’
- 2016 Senior Bowl: Mississippi State QB Dak Prescott starts over, shies away from Tim Tebow comparisons
- 2016 Senior Bowl: Missouri LB Kentrell Brothers using Super Bowl star as NFL model
- Jarran Reed on Alabama’s 2016 defense: ‘I really don’t think they’re going to miss a beat’
- 2016 Senior Bowl: LSU’s Deion Jones wants another shot at Alabama — kind of like Coach Les Miles
- 2016 Senior Bowl: Florida’s Morrison says SEC speed has no peer among other conferences
- 2016 Senior Bowl: Pair of injured SEC players to miss rest of week