The No. 9-seeded Alabama basketball team will square off against No. 1 seed Villanova on Saturday at 11:10 a.m. CT (12:10 a.m. ET) at PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh. The third-round contest will be broadcasted live on CBS.
The Crimson Tide is looking to advance to its first Sweet 16 since 2004. Alabama has reached seven Sweet 16s and one Elite Eight (2004) in program history.
Alabama’s last bout with a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament came in 2004 where the Tide downed Stanford, 70-67, on March 20 to advance to the Elite Eight. Current assistant coach Antoine Pettway was a member on the Crimson Tide’s team that season.
2018 NCAA Tournament: Alabama basketball live updates
- FINAL: Villanova 81, Alabama 58
- Villanova’s Mikal Bridges is putting on a shooting clinic in the second half. Bridges is 5 of 5 from three with 22 points in the second half. He’s making some tough threes. Villanova 67, Alabama 40 with 7:23 left.
- Villanova is currently shooting 50 percent (13 of 26) from three, including 100 percent (6 of 6) in the second half. You have no shot when a team is shooting that well.
- Villanova has found the stroke from 3, and this one is all but over. The Wildcats are now up 50-28 with 15:29 left in the contest. Villanova has exploded in the second half with an 18-1 run.
- Avery Johnson takes a timeout with 17:15 left as Villanova goes up 41-27. The Wildcats opened the half on a 9-0 run. It’s 12-0 going back to the second half.
- Herbert Jones picked up his fourth foul less than a minute into the second half on a 3-point shooter. That’s not good as Jones is Alabama’s best defender.
- Something to watch in the second half: Collin Sexton played 18 minutes while Braxton Key played 17. Villanova escaped the first half with Jalen Brunson only playing 10 minutes.
FIRST HALF STATS AND NOTES
- Halftime: Villanova 32, Alabama 27. Villanova knocked down a three right before the buzzer to extend its lead.
- Villanova 26, Alabama 22 with 3:10 left in the first half.
- Herbert Jones is now back on the bench. He was looked at by the trainers after taking a shot to the head.
- Villanova is starting to heat up from behind the arc. Villanova’s Donte DiVincenzo has scored the Wildcats last nine points, all of which have come on 3s. Villanova 22, Alabama 15 with 6:50 left in the first half.
- Herbert Jones took a shot to the head, and appeared to be woozy. He was taken out of the game and is being looked at by trainers.
- Villanova’s Jalen Brunson and Omari Spellman are both on the bench with two fouls each. This is the time for Alabama to take advantage. Villanova only goes about seven deep.
- Herbert Jones took a tough fall after getting fouled, but was able to walk off on his own. The training staff appeared to be taking a look at his wrist. Villanova 13, Alabama 12 with 10:44 left.
- Alabama’s defense is swarming early on, forcing Villanova to work deep into the shot clock. The Tide is also doing a good job of running the Wildcats off the three-point line or forcing them to take contested threes when they are able to get them off.
- Donta Hall caught a lob from the sky to give Alabama a 10-8 lead, but John Petty fouled a Villanova three-point shooter for an and-1 to put Nova back on top 12-10.
- Alabama doing a nice job early of attacking Villanova guard Jalen Brunson on offense. Making him work on defense will be key.
- Alabama locks in on defense and forces a shot clock violation. Villanova 5, Alabama 3 with 15:35 left in the first half..
- Herbert Jones just took his first charge of the game. Alabama down 5-1 at the 16:15 mark. Alabama is being aggressive, but has had some layups roll out.
- Alabama’s starters vs. Villanova: Collin Sexton, Dazon Ingram, Herbert Jones, Braxton Key and Donta Hall. Tipoff coming up at 12:10 p.m. ET on CBS.
2018 NCAA Tournament: Alabama basketball-Villanova game time
- Alabama basketball team will square off against No. 1 seed Villanova on Saturday at 11:10 a.m. CT (12:10 p.m. ET) at PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh.
2018 NCAA Tournament: Alabama basketball-Villanova TV channel
- The third-round game on Thursday will air on CBS.
- The radio broadcast can be found on the Crimson Tide Sports Network with Chris Stewart (play-by-play) and Bryan Passink (analyst) on the call.
2018 NCAA Tournament: Alabama basketball-Villanova how to watch online
You can watch the Alabama basketball-Villanova NCAA Tournament game using the NCAA March Madness app, which you can find by click here.
2018 NCAA Tournament: Alabama basketball-Villanova preview
- Saturday’s matchup will mark the fourth meeting between Alabama and Villanova, with the Crimson Tide leading the all-time series 2-1. The last time the two teams met on the hardwood came in the 2012 2K Sports Classic championship game, when Alabama ran away with a 77-55 victory on November 16 in Madison Square Garden.
- Freshman Collin Sexton went for a game-high 25 points in the win over the Hokies. In doing so, he became the eighth player in program history to score 600 points in a single season (currently has 615). It was also his fourth consecutive game of scoring 20 or more points. Over the stretch, Sexton is averaging 26.0 ppg, while shooting 53.3 percent (32-of-60) from the field and 50.0 percent (11-of-22) from deep.
- Villanova is the No. 1 seed in the East for the second season in a row and third time in the past four seasons. This is the fourth No. 1 seed the program has earned – the Wildcats were also a No. 1 seed in 2006.