We are now two days away from the Crimson Tide’s biggest game of the season (so far). Win, and Alabama will be back in the top 10. Lose, and the road to Atlanta for the SEC Championship will likely require perfection — and some luck.
Here’s what you need to know today:
- A lot of people think LSU running back Leonard Fournette should skip his junior season. Nick Saban does not. The Alabama coach referenced former Tide star Julio Jones, who appeared NFL-ready before returning for his junior year in 2010. “He might be arguably the best receiver in the NFL, or one of ‘em, at least,” Saban said. “So how did that negatively impact him?”
- Jake Coker is not showing many nerves before his first career road start. Saban seems pretty confident that his senior — but inexperienced — quarterback will get the job done against UGA if he stays within himself. “I think Jake’s getting more and more confident,” Saban said.
- Cornerback Cyrus Jones might play some receiver this year. The Tide are having a “difficult” time sticking Jones in the offensive lineup. Saban blames the small number of practice reps available for experimentation. Jones caught five passes as a freshman in 2012.
Other Alabama news from around the Internet
- The forecast for Alabama-Georgia is not looking pretty, tweets Alabama meteorologist James Spann. Weather.com is in agreement, projecting an 80 percent chance of precipitation on Saturday.
- Some fans are pining for “smash mouth” football from the Tide, and they might be on to something. CoachingSearch.com‘s Chris Vannini says that the pace of Alabama’s offense might actually be adversely affecting the teams’ defensive performance.
- Rivals.com writer Aaron Suttles notes that Alabama currently leads the nation in batted passes with 26. How are they doing it? Lineman Dalvin Tomlinson lets fans in on a mind-blowing secret: “If you don’t get your hands up,” he says, “you’re not gonna get it.”
- Much like Cyrus Jones’ case, Saban has not been integrating newly-reinstated running back Bo Scarbrough into the offense because there have not been enough reps to go around. That will change for Scarbrough now that he’s back, but 247sports.com‘s Charlie Potter explains why the process might be stunted.
- MontgomeryAdvisor.com‘s Duane Rankin dives into Greyson Lambert’s transition from unimpressive transfer to starting quarterback at Georgia. Coach Mark Richt notes that Lambert has rarely faced a key element in 2015: in-game adversity.
The best stories around the SEC
- Young Arkansas fan brought to tears after recent defeat
- Will Grier named Florida’s starting QB against Ole Miss
- Nation’s top-rated OL sets commitment date
- Get to know Missouri’s new starting quarterback: Drew Lock
- Herschel Walker: Leonard Fournette better than I was at UGA
Check out Saban’s full statement on LSU’s Fournette below:
— Alex Martin Smith (@asmiff) September 30, 2015