We’re almost 24 hours away from Alabama’s biggest game of the season — so far. The Tide will take on the No. 8 Georgia Bulldogs in Athens on Saturday (3:30 p.m. ET, CBS).
Here’s what you need to know today:
- Fans will need to bring raincoats on Saturday. Some prognosticators say there is a 100 percent chance of rain, while others say it’s more like 90. Either way, you can count on Alabama and Georgia using run-heavy game plans. And why not? Derrick Henry and Nick Chubb are involved.
- Nick Saban made the Wonderlic test more of a joke than it already was. Speaking to fans on his radio show Thursday night, the Alabama coach explained a somewhat sketchy habit he had while coaching in the NFL.
- A 4-star quarterback has Alabama in his top two against one other SEC school. “Alabama speaks for itself,” he said. “They’ve won a lot of games and they’ve won a lot of championships. They got a way to win and I want to be a part of that.”
Other Alabama news from around the Internet
- Few defenses are good enough to neutralize Nick Chubb and Georgia’s dominant running game. But Alabama has the ability to do so, according to AL.com‘s Matt Zenitz. The Tide are currently ranked fourth in the nation in rushing defense (56.75 yards per game).
- ProFootballFocus.com noted an ugly stat: Jake Coker is 1-for-15 for 42 yards on passes that have traveled at least 20 yards downfield. While those numbers are a bit misleading — ‘Bama receivers dropped two long touchdowns this past Saturday — they certainly don’t inspire much confidence in the deep passing game.
- Coker is going to need to step up for Alabama to win on Saturday, according to MontgomeryAdvisor.com‘s Duane Rankin. A strong group of Tide running backs should force the Dawgs into plenty of man-to-man coverage, which will give Coker a chance to take more manageable shots downfield.
- Senior center Ryan Kelly was announced as a semifinalist for the Campbell Trophy, which is given to “the best football scholar-athlete in the nation.” 247Sports.com‘s Charlie Potter noted that Kelly currently holds a 3.75 GPA in graduate school.
- If you’re looking for scientific evidence as to why Alabama will defeat Georgia on Saturday, AL.com‘s John Talty has you covered. Noted football data guru Bill Connelly’s model predicted (roughly) a 32-20 win for the Crimson Tide.
The best stories around the SEC
- Florida invites rapper Lil B to The Swamp
- New Ole Miss Letterwinner Walk features name of Rebels great
- The best quotes from LSU’s Les Miles in Week 5
- Nation’s No. 1 ILB names four visit destinations
- Arkansas responds to Tennessee in throwback Twitter war
Who is going to win on Saturday? Retweet for Georgia Favorite for Bama pic.twitter.com/TjPvqxiRJS
— SEC Country (@seccountry) October 1, 2015