MONTGOMERY, Ala.–SEC Country caught up with 5-star outside linebacker Lyndell “Mack” Wilson on Wednesday.
He’s getting ready for his official visit to UGA this weekend and it could be a decision-altering one.
“I have to sit down and learn about Athens and about Georgia because I have never visited there before,” Wilson said. “I don’t know too much about them so we are going to have a lot of time with me and the coaches to see how I fit into the program.”
Wilson will bring his extended family along for the trip, including his mother. Will he see enough to move UGA ahead of two other imposing finalists in Alabama and Florida?
The 6-foot-2, 220-pounder dropped one nugget which might impact which school he chooses on National Signing Day. That came with his answer to the question which recruiter does he feel he has the best personal relationship with.
His answer was Kirby Smart, but then he quickly put Nick Saban in that category. For him, those relationships funnel into one common goal.
“I’m trying to see which coach can better me as a person instead of a football player,” Wilson said.
Wilson is rated as the nation’s No. 1 outside linebacker for the Class of 2016. He’s also ranked as the nation’s No. 13 player overall.
Check out the video interview above to learn what Wilson is thinking right now, along with his answers to the following questions:
- What does he hope to learn this weekend at UGA?
- Can he see himself playing at UGA?
- What did Nick Saban tell him when he called him on the day after winning another national title?
- Which school is recruiting him the hardest right now?
- How can he grow up with Alabama as his dream school, but not wind up there?
- Which school offers the best chance at immediate playing time?
- What is his relationship like with new Alabama defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt?
- If another highly-rated recruit goes to a certain school, will it influence his decision?
- What is his relationship like with coach Smart?
Jeff Sentell covers UGA football and UGA recruiting for AJC.com and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Follow him on Twitter for the latest on who’s on their way to play Between the Hedges. Unless otherwise indicated, all player rankings and ratings are from the 247sports Composite.