6 things every Alabama fan needs to know today
It’s a new week, but that doesn’t mean you have to come down from the high from this past weekend yet, Alabama fans. What a week it was for Derrick Henry, the SEC Offensive Player of the Year and now, the Heisman Trophy winner. In case you missed the ceremony Saturday night, we’ve got stories for you here and on SEC Country’s Alabama page. Let’s roll.
Here are six things to know:
- Henry has given his grandmother credit for his success on numerous occasions. Saturday, because of health issues, Gladys Henry couldn’t make it to New York for the ceremony — but that didn’t keep her from celebrating from the hospital.
- See how Henry stacks up statistically to previous running backs who won the Heisman.
- The state of Louisiana’s No. 1 player has 23 scholarship offers. Alabama is one of them.
- Look familiar? Former Crimson Tide quarterback A.J. McCarron threw his first NFL touchdown Sunday with the Bengals.
- Before the Packers took on the Cowboys on Sunday, the Packers reached out to Nick Saban to get some advice about what to do with running back Eddie Lacy. Saban had one blunt suggestion. It worked. Lacy had 24 carries for 124 yards and a touchdown.
- One Alabama commit grew close with Kirby Smart and is now sad to see him leave the Crimson Tide for UGA.
Other Alabama news from around the Internet
- Five Crimson Tide players received All-America honors from the Associated Press on Sunday, AL.com’s Matt Zenitz wrote.
- Interested in how the Heisman voting numbers broke down? AL.com’s Michael Casagrande has you covered.
- Also from Casagrande, Henry kept it extremely simple when he was asked why he chose ‘Bama over his home-state Florida Gators.
- The Tuscaloosa News’ Tommy Deas has seen plenty of great players live through the years. Take a stroll down memory lane and read his take on why Derrick Henry was clearly the Heisman favorite.
The best stories around the SEC
- Auburn wide receiver Jonathan Wallace proposed to his girlfriend at Jordan-Hare Stadium this weekend.
- Ole Miss’ star defensive lineman fell from a hotel room and went to the hospital in stable condition.
- Sunday was the final day of contact period for recruiting, so Florida coach Jim McElwain hit the road.
- According to a report, South Carolina coach Will Muschamp wants to snag a couple of UGA coaches to serve on his staff.
- Take a deeper look at UGA’s new offensive coordinator.