8 things every Alabama fan needs to know today
Four more days, Alabama fans. So many questions will finally have their answers after Saturday, but for now we have to keep waiting. Pass the time by catching up on everything you need to know between now and then — there’s a lot.
Here are eight things to know:
- First things first, the Crimson Tide got some good news today on the injury front in regards to three of their best players. The timing couldn’t be better for Nick Saban and his team with LSU just days away.
- Quarterback Jake Coker said Monday that running back Derrick Henry doesn’t get as much attention as he might deserve because of LSU’s Leonard Fournette. We could be in for the ultimate running back battle this weekend.
- Tennessee has the edge offensively, but Alabama is where Mecole Hardman, Jr. sees himself fitting in the best defensively. The nation’s top athlete will be at Alabama this weekend to check out the LSU matchup.
- Hardman won’t be the only recruit in attendance, though. SEC Country has confirmed that he’ll be joined by at least nine — possibly 10 — others.
- Obviously it’s not just highly touted recruits that’ll be glued to the outcome. It’s extremely likely that the NFL could send its fair share of scouts, too — Les Miles seems to think so.
- The Tigers are undefeated, but Sportsbook.ag thinks it’s Alabama who has the best chance to win the SEC title.
- How do you prepare for Heisman candidate Leonard Fournette? Nick Saban has charged his backup running backs to mimic the star running back’s game.
- Finally, don’t make any Alabama-Mississippi State plans yet unless you’re flexible. The SEC still hasn’t decided what time the game will kick off.
Other Alabama news from around the Internet
- The Tigers and Crimson Tide have a long-standing tradition of competition. Here are five recruits both teams are battling for, according to the BamaOnLine staff.
- AL.com’s Michael Casagrande kicked it back to 2011 and revisited the epic matchup between LSU and Alabama in 2011.
- We know it’s a huge matchup this weekend. The AP’s John Zenor dives into just how high the stakes are.
- Nick Saban had his weekly press conference Monday in advance of the LSU game. In it, the coach talked about how much Virginia Tech’s Frank Beamer means to him, AL.com’s Matt Zenitz wrote.
- Bleacher Report’s Christopher Walsh broke down quarterback Jack Coker’s season and how it’s transformed over the course of the year.
- Reggie Ragland is up for the Butkus Award — presented to the nation’s top linebacker — Zenitz wrote.
The best stories around the SEC
- The Auburn baseball coach was fired and now his attorney has some fighting words for the athletic department.
- LSU’s legendary broadcaster Jim Hawthorne won’t be calling the Alabama-LSU game this year. Due to a successful medical procedure, Hawthorne is missing his first game in more than 30 years.
- UGA’s Mark Richt could be on his way out. But this time it could actually be for real.
- Tennessee was called for targeting Saturday against Kentucky, but the Vols still believe it was the wrong call.
- It’s been five years since Mississippi State lost Nick Bell to cancer. Coach Dan Mullen still remembers.