As if this week needed any more buzz, the first College Football Playoff rankings came out Tuesday night. Twitter immediately went crazy — Alabama and LSU are both in the top 4. Buckle up, Alabama fans. This wild week is at its peak.
Here are 8 things to know:
- To kick things off, Alabama was ranked No. 4 by the College Football Playoff committee Tuesday night, behind Clemson, LSU and Ohio State as the top 3.
- Immediately after the rankings were released the media immediately turned to our favorite outlet — Twitter — to share some opinions.
- Florida came in at No. 10, six slots behind Alabama, which had many confused considering the Crimson Tide and the Gators each only have one loss.
- There are several recruiting implications on the line this weekend against LSU. One Florida State commit is now making his official visit to Alabama this weekend to see the game.
- This game promises so much drama but perhaps one of the most exciting things to watch will be the matchup between running backs Leonard Fournette and Derrick Henry. Each had some nice words to say about the other.
- Don’t freak out — it’s supposed to rain Saturday on game day. But could that be a good thing?
- By now you know that Al Golden has been fired at Miami, which means some of Nick Saban’s assistants could be considered for the head coaching vacancy. A group of Miami recruits have their eye on one assistant in particular.
- Finally, don’t miss out on your Alabama bowl projections from Tuesday.
Other Alabama news from around the Internet
- We know that Alabama is No. 4 in the Playoff picture, but what does that mean? AL.com’s Michael Casagrande broke it down.
- Also from Casagrande, a full practice report from Tuesday heading into Saturday and another story on the Fournette-Henry showcase.
- It’s not just Fournette that’s a threat though, despite the fact that he’s getting most of the attention. AL.com’s Matt Zenitz compiled a list of five other Tigers you should be on the lookout for, too, if you’re a Crimson Tide fan.
- Lucky for Alabama, the defense isn’t too shabby when it comes to stopping running backs, Zenitz wrote.
- Bleacher Report’s Christopher Walsh has your full Saturday game preview all ready to go.
The best stories around the SEC
- As much as Alabama fans hate LSU, LSU fans hate Alabama, too.
- One junior college player didn’t start playing football until his senior year of high school. Now, some of the nation’s top programs want him.
- LSU and South Carolina are teaming up to raise money for flood victims through an auction with memorabilia from both teams.
- Aside from LSU and Alabama, could Arkansas swoop in and win the SEC West?
- Auburn wide receiver Stanton Truitt’s season is over.