8 things every Alabama fan needs to know today
Happy Thanksgiving, Alabama fans! SEC Country hopes your day is filled with food, football and some Alabama news. Let’s get straight to it.
Here are eight things to know:
- As a result of some frightening events around the world, most notably the attacks in Paris, Auburn is stepping up its security for the Iron Bowl this weekend.
- Could Kirby Smart fill the vacancy at South Carolina? According to a report, Alabama’s defensive coordinator is the leading candidate for the opening.
- Smart isn’t the only Alabama assistant that could be moving up. Coach Nick Saban said Wednesday that Smart and offensive line coach Mario Cristobal’s names are both out there.
- A former Alabama running back who was dismissed from the team in 2015 will attend the Iron Bowl this weekend.
- The Crimson Tide can’t get complacent in their final regular season game. ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit thinks this game might be more of a challenge than one would think.
- Check out some light-hearted Iron Bowl commercials featuring AJ McCarron, his wife Katherine Webb and Chris Davis.
- The Crimson Tide got some good news on the injury front.
- Saban spoke on the head coaching vacancies across the country.
Other Alabama news from around the Internet
- If you missed Saban’s radio show Wednesday night, get the highlights from AL.com’s Matt Zenitz.
- The Crimson Tide still don’t know who the Auburn quarterback will be. From Zenitz, how the Crimson Tide are handling that.
- The Tigers are hoping to hop out to a quick, explosive start against Alabama, AL.com’s Wesley Sinor wrote.
- CBS Sports’ Jon Solomon has more on Auburn and why the Tigers have struggled the way they have this season.
- Much of the focus has been on Alabama’s running game this season, but AL.com’s Michael Casagrande wrote that the passing game has garnered more attention recently, as well.
- A dream will turn into reality for Alabama quarterback Jake Coker when he and the Crimson Tide take on Auburn, the Tuscaloosa News’ Aaron Suttles wrote.
The best stories around the SEC
- A feel-good story: Ole Miss players delivered Thanksgiving baskets to those in need around Oxford, Miss., Wednesday.
- Les Miles is going to let his work speak for itself. He won’t be begging to keep his job at LSU. In what could have been his final radio show Wednesday night, fans got emotional at the possibility of him leaving.
- There are rumors that Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen could become the new coach of Virginia Tech, Maryland or — if the Cavaliers fire their coach — Virginia.
- Central Florida has an opening and several SEC assistants could be potential candidates.
- Clemson and South Carolina kick off this weekend, but one major piece of the rivalry is missing: Steve Spurrier.