Welcome to SEC Country’s daily Roll Tide-ings, a rundown of everything happening in Alabama Crimson Tide recruiting with Chris Kirschner. Today, we talk the latest with Alabama’s top targets at The Opening.
The likeliest recruits who participated in The Opening who will commit to Alabama
Penei Sewell, 4-star offensive lineman, Saint George, Utah: Sewell is really, really high on Alabama. At this point, it seems like the Crimson Tide are the favorites to land him when he makes his commitment, which is expected before the season begins. His father also told SEC Country he believes Alabama is one of the best-positioned teams for his son.
Jaycee Horn, 4-star cornerback, Alpharetta, Ga.: Horn is set to announce his commitment between Alabama and South Carolina on July 15. He grew up a big Crimson Tide fan. He actually cried when Alabama lost to Clemson in the national championship game. With the Tide needing several corners in this year’s class, it seems likely that the Tide will beat out the Gamecocks, even though South Carolina really has him thinking hard.
Cameron Latu, 4-star defensive end, Salt Lake City: Latu admitted to SEC Country that his mother wants him to choose Alabama. That’s important because Latu is very close to his mother and values her opinion. Latu is one of the Tide’s top JACK targets along with 5-star prospects KJ Henry and Micah Parsons. He will visit Tuscaloosa on July 21 for Alabama’s cookout. That will be the Utah native’s third trip to Tuscaloosa. That’s a lot of visits for a player who lives nowhere near Alabama. Don’t be surprised to see a commitment on that day.
Josh Jobe, 4-star cornerback, Miami: Jobe isn’t locked in with the Hurricanes. Jobe tweeted in April that his recruitment was officially over. That tweet has since been deleted, and it didn’t just magically disappear. There is a reason why it was deleted. He said it’s because he is done with social media, although he tweets on a regular basis. Jobe is a major cornerback target for the Crimson Tide, and the coaching staff is working hard to flip him. I think it happens. Moving to Connecticut from Miami this fall will ease the pressure on Jobe to have to stick with his commitment to the hometown team.
Justyn Ross, 5-star wide receiver, Phenix City, Ala.: Ross told SEC Country that Auburn’s wide receiver depth chart is the most appealing situation for him. That’s important because the Tigers are the Tide’s biggest competitor for the in-state target. I’m not very confident Ross chooses Alabama when it comes time to make a decision, but I think his mother being a Crimson Tide fan helps. Ross and his mother are very close.
In case you missed it …
- 5-star QB Justin Fields talks Elite 11 MVP, latest with recruitment
- 5-star Ohio State commit talks canceled Alabama trip and if he’s still talking to Tide coaches
- Alabama ‘pretty much’ the only school Michigan OL commit is still considering
- Why Alabama beat out Georgia for the nation’s No. 5 defensive end
- Alabama still leads for an elite prospect who was named after Luke Skywalker
- Crimson Tide still in the mix for the nation’s No. 1 CB, who has LSU on top
- Nation’s No. 1 DE set to visit Alabama: ‘I want to see what all the hype is about’
- Miami CB commit and major target Josh Jobe talks recruitment status and if he’s actually 100 percent committed
- Major Alabama target says his mother wants him to commit to the Crimson Tide
- Alabama in the top six for nation’s No. 5 RB, but there’s no way he chooses the Tide
Miss a previous edition? Find every post of SEC Country’s daily Roll Tide-ings recruiting notebook right here.