Alabama football: Defensive backs prepare for pass-heavy Shea Patterson, Ole Miss
Alabama football drives the conversation here at the Rammer Jammer, SEC Country’s daily Alabama athletics recap, but we’ll cover news for every facet of the Crimson Tide. Every morning, we’ll be here for the latest on Alabama football, basketball and every sport on campus.
The secondary was tapped as Alabama’s strongest unit early in the season. This Saturday, it’ll get its biggest test of the season when Ole Miss’ elite passing attack comes to town. Quarterback Shea Patterson leads the No. 4 passing offense in the country, averaging 427 yards per game. Alabama’s defense is healthy in practice, and you can expect to see a lot of Hootie Jones, Minkah Fitzpatrick and Tony Brown on Saturday, as Michael Casagrande of AL.com noted.
Watch interviews with a pair of Alabama defensive leaders here.
- The game will also feature several close ties, from former Ole Miss kicker Andy Pappanastos to former Alabama linebacker turned Ole Miss coach Freddie Roach.
- Alabama’s youth movement continues as freshmen make an impact.
- Alabama’s road game at Texas A&M will kick off at 6:15 p.m. and be broadcast on ESPN.
Our Marq Burnett put a bow on the win over Vanderbilt in Off The Marq (shout-out Birdman). Looking ahead, Tommy Deas at TideSports has four questions for Alabama’s game against Ole Miss, including worries about the pass defense.
Alabama basketball starts its fall practice on Friday, the first action in the most anticipated season for the Crimson Tide in years. Coach Avery Johnson spoke with reporters on Tuesday, touching on the widespread national anthem protests and the FBI investigation that landed an Auburn assistant coach in jail on Tuesday.
Built by Bama
Former Alabama running back Trent Richardson signed with the Saskatchewan
RuffRyders Roughriders with six games to go in the CFL season.
In MLB …
- David Robertson pitched yet another scoreless inning en route to a 6-1 win for the Yankees over Tampa Bay.
- Adam Morgan did the same for the Phillies in a 4-1 win against the Nationals.
And Matt Zenitz of AL.com is tracking all of Alabama’s still-collegiate transfers.
Around the Capstone
- The Alabama softball team struggled at the plate for much of last season. With Demi Turner back in practice after missing half the season, that figures to change.
Miss a previous edition? Find every installment of SEC Country’s daily Alabama newsletter right here.