Alabama football: Mack Wilson impresses as middle linebacker in dime package
Alabama football drives the conversation here at the Rammer Jammer, SEC Country’s daily Alabama athletics recap, but we’ll cover news for every facet of the Crimson Tide. Every morning, we’ll be here for the latest on Alabama football, basketball and every sport on campus.
Finding his role
Alabama linebacker Mack Wilson plays an important role on the Crimson Tide’s defense. In the last two games, the former 5-star prospect has manned the middle of Alabama’s dime package, stepping up after linebacker Keith Holcombe sustained a hamstring injury. The switch has worked wonders for both Wilson and Alabama. In those two games, Wilson has 2 interceptions and is now tied with cornerback Levi Wallace for the team lead in interceptions at 3.
In other headlines…
- Alabama’s three freshman receivers continue to impress their veteran teammates.
- Four-star defensive tackle Bobby Brown moved up his decision date up to Friday.
- Our own Ryan Fowler discusses a key difference in Alabama this season which could help the team in November.
- Alabama is currently 8-4 following bye weeks under head coach Nick Saban.
- Alabama extended an offer to an Iowa defensive tackle who plans to visit Tuscaloosa soon.
Wallace has been one of the biggest surprises through the season’s first eight games. The former walk-on has been dominant, ranking third in the country in passes defended. Recently, The Associated Press named Wallace a midseason All-America and the Jim Thorpe Award named him a semifinalist. So, what has changed for Wallace now that he’s a nationally recognized player? Not much, he says, he has been getting the recognition that he deserves.
New signing period
The NCAA’s new signing period is just around the corner. From Dec. 20-22, recruits will be able to sign their letters of intent with the school of their choosing. It now joins the original signing period, which begins Feb. 7 2018. Due to the change, coaches across the country have had to adapt. Recently, Saban spoke on the specific challenges his staff faces with the new period.
“It’s been something that has been hard to figure out, to be honest with you,” Saban said.
Built by ‘Bama
New England Patriots linebacker Dont’a Hightower will miss the rest of the season with a pectoral tear.
Around the Capstone
- Alabama soccer defeated Ole Miss, 2-0 in double overtime in Oxford.
Miss a previous edition? Find every installment of SEC Country’s daily Alabama newsletter right here.