TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama football coach Nick Saban doesn’t anticipate any academic casualties with the summer enrollees from the Crimson Tide’s 2017 signing class, but it’s too early for him to safely say everyone has qualified.
The rest of Alabama’s 2017 recruiting class is set to enroll later this month prior to the beginning of summer school, barring anything unforeseen.
“That’s a work in progress with a lot of guys. Nobody’s really qualified until they graduate,” Saban said Monday during the SEC coaches spring teleconference. “Our assumption is that everybody is making the kind of progress that they need to make to be able to qualify.”
Alabama football had an unprecedented 16 players enroll early this spring. That’s double what Alabama had last year.
The players included: junior college offensive lineman Elliot Baker (San Francisco, Calif./Archbishop Riordan/City College of San Francisco), junior college defensive lineman Isaiah Buggs (Ruston, La./Ruston/Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College), long snapper Thomas Fletcher (Georgetown, Texas/IMG Academy), running back Najee Harris (Antioch, Calif./Antioch), wide receiver Jerry Jeudy (Deerfield Beach, Fla./Deerfield Beach), defensive back Kyriq McDonald (Madison, Ala./James Clemens), linebacker Dylan Moses (Baton Rouge, La./IMG Academy), offensive line Alex Leatherwood (Pensacola, Fla./Booker T. Washington), wide receiver Tyrell Shavers (Lewisville, Texas/Lewisville), quarterback Tua Tagovailoa (Ewa Beach, Hawai’i/St. Louis), tight end Major Tennison (Flint, Texas/Bullard) and athlete Chadarius Townsend (Tanner, Ala./Tanner).
The Crimson Tide had eight players enroll in the spring each of the past three years, seven in 2013, seven in 2012, nine in 2011, 11 in 2010 and four in 2009.
Alabama football players enrolling this summer
- Chris Allen, LB, 6-foot-4, 234 pounds, Baton Rouge, La. (Southern Lab School)
- Markail Benton, LB, 6-2, 237, Phenix City, Ala. (Central)
- VanDarius Cowan, LB, 6-4, 226, Palm Beach Gardens, Fla. (Palm Beach Garden)
- Kedrick James, TE, 6-5, 245, Waco, Texas (La Vega)
- Phil Mathis, DL, 6-4, 287, Monroe, La. (Neville)
- Kendall Randolph, OL, 6-4, 310, Madison, Ala. (Bob Jones)
- LaBryan Ray, DL, 6-5, 275, Madison, Ala. (James Clemens)
- Henry Ruggs III, WR, 6-0, 175, Montgomery, Ala. (Lee)
- Devonta Smith, WR, 6-1, 175, Amite, La. (Amite)
- Jedrick Wills, OL, 6-5, 318, Lexington, Ky. (Lafayette)