Good morning. The Rammer Jammer is a daily rundown of everything you need to know about Alabama athletics, published every weekday morning.
Alabama will begin the final week of its preparation for the Peach Bowl soon, and fly to Atlanta, but first, the Crimson Tide break for the holidays. Alabama’s break from practice will give players and personnel the time to travel to see their families before returning to campus and traveling to Atlanta on Monday.
I hope you have similarly relaxing holidays, whether a merry Christmas, happy Hanukah or otherwise happy holidays. If you are traveling, I wish you safety, and if you cannot, happiness. And if you, like me, plan to gorge yourself on football, basketball and food over the next several days, don’t forget to take some time to make a stressful season easier on those around you, from retail workers to gate attendants to those most in need.
For your holiday enjoyment, WBRC-TV out of Birmingham has the inside look at Nick Saban’s letter to the other St. Nick.
- Defensive coordinators say Jalen Hurts is ‘just scratching the surface‘ of his potential, from USA Today’s Nichole Auerbach.
- Our countdown of Alabama’s 10 best players of the season continues with No. 2 Reuben Foster. Check back Friday for the top player.
- SEC Country’s Marq Burnett wraps up the regular season and looks forward with seven things you should know about Alabama.
- TideSports continues its countdown of the 50 most-wanted Alabama recruits with Nos. 40-31.
- Steve Spurrier stated the obvious in Mobile on Thursday when he said ‘it’s not a given‘ that Alabama will win it all.
- ESPN announced its extensive broadcast options for the College Football Playoff.
- AL.com fashion critic Vasha Hunt is back with a slide show accentuating Nick Saban’s style choices.
- With a bowl game against a Pac-12 opponent comes a sense of unfamiliarity for Alabama.
- Roll Bama Roll’s countdown of the plays of the season continues with Jonah Williams’ breakout game.
- And its salute to the seniors with captain Eddie Jackson.
- Ken Rogers of the Dothan Eagle takes a look at Alabama’s influential freshman class.
- And finally, AL.com’s prediction show for a game that still is more than a week away.
‘Twas the night before …
This video is from last Christmas Eve, but it’s worth a nostalgic watch, at least.
And from the Clark Griswold school of Alabama fandom …
Built by Bama
- Eddie Lacy says he’d like to be back in Green Bay next season.
- Landon Collins had 9 tackles, including two for losses, as the Giants lost to the Eagles, 24-19.
What to watch
- 1 p.m. ET — Eastern Michigan against Old Dominion in the grandaddy of them all, The Popeyes Bahamas Bowl on ESPN. Old Dominion’s first-ever bowl. Eastern Michigan’s second. Popeyes Chicken. What more could you want?
- 4:30 p.m. — Louisiana Tech against No. 25 Navy in the Armed Forces Bowl on ESPN. I know we’ve talked about high-powered offenses a lot lately, but this game could get wild (though probably not 100 points wild like the Potato Bowl). Ryan Higgins at Louisiana Tech has passed for more than 4,000 yards this season. Navy’s triple option is always fun to watch.
- 8 p.m. — Ohio vs Troy in the Dollar General Bowl from sunny and glorious Mobile, Ala. Troy was playing some excellent football headed into the last month of the season and should do well.
- 8 p.m. ET — Middle Tennessee heads to Hawaii for The Hawaii Bowl. This is a football game!