Alabama football: Nick Saban says Tennessee rivalry is ‘very competitive’
Alabama football drives the conversation here at the Rammer Jammer, SEC Country’s daily Alabama athletics recap, but we’ll cover news for every facet of the Crimson Tide. Every morning, we’ll be here for the latest on Alabama football, basketball and every sport on campus.
Third Saturday in October
Alabama has dominated Tennessee ever since coach Nick Saban took over the program. The Crimson Tide has not lost to the Volunteers since 2006. Still, even with the recent domination, Saban and his players are not taking this rivalry lightly. Saban, during his press conference, referenced the 2015 and 2009 meetings as examples of Alabama struggling with Tennessee. This season, both programs are in similar situations with Alabama being undefeated and Tennessee struggling. Saban went on to reiterate that the rivalry has been very competitive and is not a game where Alabama can relax.
You can watch Saban’s full press conference here.
In other headlines …
- Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said his visit to Alabama gave him some perspective as far as human connections go.
- Alabama named 10 athletes as players of the week following its win over Arkansas.
- The SEC named Alabama lineman Jonah Williams as Offensive Lineman of the Week.
- Our own Christopher Walsh pointed out 10 things you may have missed in Alabama’s win against Arkansas.
- A top 5 cornerback prospect is exploring Alabama more and wants an official visit.
- Our own Chris Kirschner predicted what Alabama’s signing class will look like on offense.
- SEC Shorts is back with another hilarious video about an Arkansas fan fighting his GPS to get to the Alabama game.
- Tommy Deas of TideSports.com asked if Tennessee will score against Alabama.
Alabama basketball landed the commitment of 4-star point guard Jared Butler on Monday. Butler, according to the 247Sports composite, ranks as the No. 89 player overall and the No. 15 point guard in the 2018 class. Butler stands at 6-foot-2, 180 pounds and is from Reserve, La. He is Alabama’s first basketball commit for the 2018 season.
— Jared Butler (@J_Hooper11) October 17, 2017
On the same day as Butler’s commitment, current Alabama point guard Collin Sexton was named to the Bob Cousy Award watch list. The award is given to college basketball’s top point guard each year.
Around the Capstone
- Both Alabama cross country teams are ranked in the top 10 this week.
- Alabama women’s basketball will now play in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., for the Puerto Rico Clasico Tournament.
Miss a previous edition? Find every installment of SEC Country’s daily Alabama newsletter right here.