TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama football coach Nick Saban spoke to reporters on Tuesday following the Crimson Tide’s first spring practice.
Earlier on Tuesday, the Crimson Tide took the field in shorts and helmets as the team works toward its A-Day spring game on April 22.
What Nick Saban said
- It’s been a while. I was almost in a state of depression not being able to see y’all (reporters).
- The goal is to have everybody walk off the field and think about what they need to improve. If they do that, then there are certainly people around here who are willing to teach them.
- Every great team we’ve had around here has had great chemistry and a lot of leadership. Guys setting examples and not tolerating people not doing things the right way. That’s still a work in progress.
- We did have a good offseason program. I was very pleased with that. The energy the players went out there with today was good.
- Jared Mayden had a hip injury from last season that required surgery. He’ll be limited throughout the spring.
- Shaun Dion Hamilton (knee) is doing some things, but will be limited throughout the spring.
- B.J. Emmons (foot) and Bo Scarbrough (knee) are doing individual drills. They’re taking it slow, but should be able to participate more later in the spring.
- Trevon Diggs working at safety is an experiment. We want to see what he can do. If there’s an emergency situation, we want him to be able to move there if necessary.
- Deionte Thompson has improved a good bit. We worked Minkah Fitzpatrick and Anthony Averett at corners. Tony Brown is working at corner and star.
- On the national championship game: It had nothing to do with ball control. We didn’t throw the ball as well as we needed to, we dropped passes and we didn’t block. The defense needs to get themselves off the field on third downs. There was a combination of things we should have done better, not to take anything away from Clemson.
- We don’t have a depth chart right now. We have a rep chart. It’s hard to evaluate the offensive line during the offseason program. We feel like we have some good center and guard types. We need more guys to step up and play tackle.
- It’s nice to have a guy like Minkah Fitzpatrick where if someone came through as a starting corner, he could play somewhere else. Same goes for if someone steps up at safety. It’s really unique to have a guy who can play so many positions like that.
- The goal for each individual during the offseason was for everyone to ask what “I” can do to make the team better. That’s what we did during the offseason and what we’re going to do during the spring.