TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama football took the field in Bryant-Denny Stadium on Friday for its second scrimmage of spring practice.
Here’s what you need to know.
Alabama football injury updates
- Running back Damien Harris (ankle) did not participate in drills. Harris wore a regular white jersey, but he watched while his group warmed up.
- Running back B.J. Emmons (foot) wore a walking boot on his left foo and did not participate in drills.
What we saw
- As expected, there was no sign of safety Deionte Thompson. Thompson was excused from practice and turned himself into authorities on Friday. The Galveston County Sheriff’s Office issued a felony assault warrant for Thompson in connection with an assault of Noah Frillou, 18, on March 18 in Crystal Beach, Texas. He is one of 4 suspects.
“We are still in the process of gathering all of the facts in Deionte’s situation. He has been excused today to cooperate with law enforcement in this matter. Once we have a better understanding of what happened, we will make a determination as to what needs to be done in terms of the appropriate course of action moving forward.” — Saban on Thompson.
- The first-team offensive line had Jonah Williams at left tackle, Ross Pierschbacher at left guard, Bradley Bozeman at center, Deonte Brown at right guard and Lester Cotton at right tackle. This is a big opportunity for Brown to earn a role. Brown, a redshirt freshman, was considered a strong run blocker coming out of high school.
- Robert Foster, Calvin Ridley and Cam Sims were the receivers with the first offense.
- Hale Hentges and Miller Forristall were the tight ends with the first-team offense. Irv Smith and Ronnie Clark were the tight ends with the second group.
- Bo Scarbrough led the running backs through drills and worked with the first group on offense, but he is still wearing a black, no-contact jersey. Najee Harris, Joshua Jacobs and Brian Robinson are the 3 healthy running backs. Jacobs missed the scrimmage last week with a thigh bruise.
- The second offensive line group had Matt Womack at left tackle, Josh Casher at left guard, J.C. Hassenauer at center, Richie Petitbon at right guard and Alex Leatherwood at right tackle.
- The third group had Scott Lashley at left tackle, Dallas Warmack at left guard, Chris Owens at center, Brandon Kennedy at right guard and Elliot Baker at right tackle.
- Trevon Diggs continued to work at left corner with the first defense. Anthony Averett lined up at right corner. Minkah Fitzpatrick and Ronnie Harrison were the top 2 safeties.
- When Alabama had 4 linebackers on the field, Anfernee Jennings, Christian Miller, Rashaan Evans and Keith Holcombe were in the first group.
Alabama football arrives for practice
Alabama quarterback drills, part 1
Alabama quarterback drills, part 2