Alabama practice report: running back limited, how secondary is shaping up
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama football continues to push through fall camp as it works toward the season opener against Florida State.
The Crimson Tide worked in full pads for its seventh workout of camp on a humid Thursday afternoon.
- Running back Najee Harris was limited during practice on Thursday. Harris stood near the running backs holding two footballs, but he did not participate in any drills.
- Linebacker Jamey Mosley was back on the field, but he wore a black, non-contact jersey and did not participate in any drills.
- Freshman linebacker VanDarius Cowan is still wearing a black, non-contact jersey.
- Cornerback Anthony Averett was limited to start drills. He didn’t participate when Alabama’s cornerbacks worked on tackling and shedding blocks. Averett went through all the other drills, though, after not doing much during the viewing period on Wednesday night.
What we saw
- We got our first look at the shell of Alabama’s nickel package. The first group had Trevon Diggs at left corner, Averett at right corner, Tony Brown at star (nickel defensive back), Ronnie Harrison and Minkah Fitzpatrick at the safety spots, and Shaun Dion Hamilton and Rashaan Evans as the two linebackers. Outside of Diggs, this is an experienced group. Diggs has continued to get reps with the first group, which means the coaching staff believes he can be a key player for the defense.
- The second group was a little more cluttered. Jared Mayden was at left corner with Nigel Knott shadowing him. Levi Wallace was at the right corner spot. Hootie Jones worked at one safety spot with Deionte Thompson shadowing him. Freshman Xavier McKinney lined up at the other safety position with Keaton Anderson shadowing him. Shyheim Carter worked at star with Kyriq McDonald shadowing him. Josh McMillon and Dylan Moses worked together at one linebacker spot while Mack Wilson and Keith Holcombe were at the other one.
- Former Alabama defensive back and return specialist Javier Arenas was spotted standing near the secondary. He has reportedly taken an off-field role on Alabama’s staff.
Watch: Player interviews
Alabama running back Damien Harris:
Alabama linebacker Rashaan Evans:
Alabama cornerback Anthony Averett:
Alabama offensive line drills