Editor’s note: Alabama football returns a ton of talent, and has a great opportunity to make another run at the SEC championship and earn a College Football Playoff berth.
Over the next few weeks, SEC Country will take a look at Alabama’s 25 most important players. Obviously, there will be coaches and other key members around the program who will have a big impact on the team’s success. But this list is strictly for the top-25 players for the Crimson Tide heading into 2017.
No. 11 Rashaan Evans
There’s a strong chance Rashaan Evans will be higher on the list by the end of the season. Evans is as talented as they come at linebacker. He can rush the passer, he can cover and he’s physical at the point of attack.
Evans got his first taste of being a starter last season when he stepped in at inside linebacker after Shaun Dion Hamilton went down with a knee injury in the SEC Championship Game against Florida.
Making his first career start against Washington in the playoffs, Evans matched his career-high with 7 tackles and had 1 sack. He topped that total in the national championship game with 11 stops (6 solo) while registering a half sack vs. Clemson.
There were some early struggles with injuries and learning his assignments after making the switch from edge rusher to inside linebacker. Now, Evans is comfortable running the show in the middle.
With Hamilton still rehabbing this spring, Evans was the only returning inside linebacker with significant experience.
Look for him to have a huge senior season if he’s able to stay healthy.
Coming Monday: An important play maker.
SEC Country’s Top 25 Alabama football players:
- No. 12: A veteran wide receiver
- No. 13: A key special teams player
- No. 14: An elite defensive lineman
- No. 15: A junior college transfer
- No. 16: A powerful offensive lineman
- No. 17: A young player changing positions
- No. 18: An experienced offensive lineman
- No. 19: A new sack artist
- No 20: A powerful linebacker
- No. 21: A young, explosive linebacker
- No. 22: An inexperienced offensive lineman
- No. 23: A veteran safety
- No. 24: Two talented freshmen
- No. 25: Tide hope he’s ‘special’