TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama football returned to the field on Thursday for its second workout of spring practice.
The Crimson Tide has 12 practices left before its A-Day spring game on April 22.
- Linebacker Shaun Dion Hamilton (knee) walked with head athletic trainer Jeff Allen while striking a bag to simulate taking on blockers.
- Running backs Bo Scarbrough (leg) and B.J. Emmons (foot) continued to wear black jerseys, but they went through a limited amount of drills with their group.
- Safety Jared Mayden (hip) rode a stationary bike while wearing a black jersey and an elevation mask.
- Here’s what Nick Saban said about those four on Tuesday:
“Jared Mayden had a hip injury from last season that required surgery, so he’s going to be limited throughout the spring and probably will be able to participate very little but should have a full recovery. Shaun Dion Hamilton had an ACL in the SEC Championship Game, so he’s doing some things … running but probably will also be limited throughout the spring. But we also anticipate a full recovery (for him). B.J. Emmons and Bo Scarbrough are both guys that are doing individual drills, are able to do some things and probably will make progress throughout the spring and probably be able to go in a short period of time.” — Saban
What we saw
- It’s still early, but we got our first look at some of the offensive line rotations on Thursday. The first group had rising sophomore Jonah Williams at left tackle, Ross Pierschbacher at left guard, Bradley Bozeman at center, Lester Cotton at right guard and Matt Womack at right tackle. Williams is making the move from right to left tackle with Cam Robinson gone. Cotton started games at right guard last season, but lost his spot due to injuries and inconsistent performances. Womack doesn’t have much experience, but he’s a big, athletic player.
- The second group had redshirt freshman Chris Owens at left tackle, Dallas Warmack at left guard, J.C. Hassenauer at center, Brandon Kennedy at right guard and Scott Lashley at right tackle. Lashley also took one rep at right tackle with the first group.
- The third offensive line group had January enrollee Alex Leatherwood at left tackle, Richie Petitbon at left guard, Josh Casher at center, Deonte Brown at right guard and junior college transfer Elliot Baker at right tackle.
- Miller Forristall and Hale Hentges were the tight ends/H-backs working with the first group followed by Irv Smith and Ronnie Clark, who made the position change from running back.
- Ben Davis worked with the outside linebackers for the second straight practice. It’ll be interesting to see how long this experiment lasts. It makes sense if Davis can learn the position considering the depth Alabama has at inside linebacker.
- Trevon Diggs worked with the cornerbacks again on Thursday. Saban called the move an experiment on Tuesday. Diggs played both sides of the ball last year and in high school. Cornerback Minkah Fitzpatrick said Diggs is working hard and learning the position.
News you need to know
- Alabama defensive back Minkah Fitzpatrick feels “most comfortable” at cornerback
- Getting back on the practice field was an important step in Alabama getting past Clemson loss
Alabama defensive back Minkah Fitzpatrick
Alabama wide receiver Calvin Ridley
Alabama defensive lineman Da’Ron Payne
Alabama center Bradley Bozeman