TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — No. 1 Alabama returned to practice Monday to begin preparing for No. 9 Tennessee. The Crimson Tide travel to Knoxville, Tenn., on Saturday for a date with the Volunteers. Kickoff is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. ET on CBS.
What we saw
- Linebacker Reuben Foster (concussion) was spotted at practice wearing a black, non-contact jersey, but he did not participate in any drills. Alabama coach Nick Saban said Foster likely would need another day of rest. Foster suffered his concussion by hitting his head on the field vs. Arkansas. Foster jumped over the pile in an effort to avoid a late hit, but was tripped up and landed on his head.
- Like Foster, right guard Alphonse Taylor (concussion) was spotted at practice wearing a black, non-contact jersey, and he did not participate in any drills. Saban said Taylor likely would need another day of rest. Saban was unsure how Taylor sustained his concussion.
- Freshman running back Joshua Jacobs (elbow) participated in drills and showed no signs of being limited. Jacobs pinched a nerve in his right elbow on Saturday against Arkansas. Saban said Jacobs was cleared to return, but the team decided to hold him out. Jacobs is wearing thick padding on his right arm.
- Lester Cotton stepped in at right guard with the first-team offensive line with Taylor out. Cotton entered the Razorbacks game in the second half in place of Taylor as well. Cotton has started 2 games this season.
- Shaun Dion Hamilton led the inside linebackers through drills with Foster out. Rashaan Evans, Keith Holcombe and Lyndell “Mack” Wilson followed him.
WATCH: Player interviews
Alabama running back Damien Harris
Alabama linebacker Shaun Dion Hamilton
Alabama left guard Ross Pierschbacher
Other news you need to know
- Nick Saban updates injury status of Alphonse Taylor and Reuben Foster
- Saban explained when he was so frustrated after Rashaan Evans was flagged for a hit on Arkansas quarterback Austin Allen
- Kickoff time for Alabama-Texas A&M has been announced
- Alabama’s coaching staff recognized 11 players following their performance in win over Arkansas
- Alabama’s Minkah Fitzpatrick, Jalen Hurts and JK Scott receive weekly SEC honors
- Marq Burnett: How I voted in AP Top 25 following Week 6
- Off the Marq: Analyzing Alabama’s win over Arkansas, looking ahead to Tennessee
He said what? (quote of the day)
“I don’t think you want to talk about when I was playing. I don’t want to get anybody in trouble or anything. There’s two things when I was playing that weren’t considered big issues. If you got hit in the head and you knew your name and where you were from, you were ready to go back in. And that’s not a good thing. And if you got the wind knocked out of you, that wasn’t a big thing.” — Nick Saban joking about how concussion protocols are so much better today than they were when he played college football.