TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama worked in full pads on Tuesday to continue preparations for Western Kentucky.
Kickoff is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. ET on ESPN2. Here is what you need to know from the latest workout and player interviews.
What we saw
- There were some interesting things going on with the quarterbacks and running backs. Quarterback Jalen Hurts lined up in the shotgun with Bo Scarbrough on the right in an H-back role and B.J. Emmons on the left in a slot receiver role. Emmons went in motion and the quarterback had two options. Hurts could either toss it to Emmons for a jet sweep, or keep it and follow Scarbrough who served as a leader blocker. Hurts faked to Emmons, kept the ball and followed Scarbrough on the first play. We’re not sure if Alabama is going to run this, but it looked like it could be an effective play if executed.
- Barnett worked on the same play with Scarbrough in the same role and Joshua Jacobs in the slot spot. Barnett tipped the ball to Jacobs for the jet sweep option.
- We also saw the running backs running wheel routes. Both Hurts and Blake Barnett threw two perfect balls at the start of this drill.
- The first team offensive line remained the same: Cam Robinson at left tackle, Lester Cotton at left guard, Bradley Bozeman at center, Ross Pierschbacher at right guard and Jonah Williams at right tackle.
- Alphonse Taylor continued to work at right guard with the second team. He’s still competing for starting job coming off suspension.
- Freshman defensive lineman Raekwon Davis is practicing with the team, but his status for games has not changed.
- Wide receiver Cam Sims (shoulder) missed practice. He is questionable for Saturday’s game.
Watch: Player Interviews
Alabama defensive tackle Da’Ron Payne
Alabama right guard Ross Pierschbacher
Other news you need to know
- Jonathan Allen, Jonah Williams earned SEC weekly honors
- No surprise: Alabama remains at No. 1 in latest Associated Press poll
- Marq Burnett: How I voted in AP Top 25 following Week 1
- Watch: Beat writer Marq Burnett discusses latest news surrounding Alabama
- Podcast: Is the 2016 group Nick Saban’s best defense?
He said what? (quote of the day)
“I tried to tell him stop standing next to me because it makes me look little. But yeah, that’s a big dude.” — Alabama defensive tackle Da’Ron Payne on freshman defensive tackle Raekwon Davis, who is 6-foot-7.