Derrick Henry passed Tre Mason in the first quarter. Then he passed Darren McFadden in the second. When the third quarter kicked off, he had one hurdle left: Herschel Walker.
The final domino fell when Henry broke off a 7-yard run against Florida in the SEC championship game, and the Alabama junior became the conference’s single-season rushing leader.
“I’m not happy with my performance, but I’m glad we got a win, glad we played as a team,” Henry said during a postgame interview with CBS’ Allie LaForce. I credit all to my teammates, God and my coaches. Without them this wouldn’t be possible.”
Here is the new list (with 18:40 remaining in the game):
- 1,897 — Derrick Henry (Alabama, 2015)
- 1,891 — Herschel Walker (Georgia, 1981)
- 1,830 — Darren McFadden (Arkansas, 2007)
- 1,816 — Tre Mason (Auburn, 2013)
- 1,786 — Bo Jackson (Auburn, 1985)