College coaches everywhere will get a much-needed breather starting today, as June 27 marks the start of the NCAA’s dead period, which runs until July 10. During this period, recruits and coaches cannot meet in person.
Usually, during this stretch of time, college coaches take vacation to get away from the hectic summer of recruiting. However, that’s not going to put a hold on recruiting news.
SEC Country was in Bradenton, Fla., this past weekend for the IMG 7-on-7 national championships, where several Alabama targets were participating. Crimson Tide quarterback commit Mac Jones was the marquee name in attendance, and the 4-star shined during the event.
The main part of Jones’ game that stood out to me is the fact that he doesn’t take too many unnecessary risks with the ball. He’s very accurate. Jones is also very confident on and off the field. You can tell that guys gravitate toward him because of his personality. There are a lot of comparisons out there between him and former Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron, and I’d agree with them.
In Jones and fellow 4-star Tua Tagovailoa, the other Alabama QB commit in the Class of 2017, the Tide have a bright future at the position.
Notes & nuggets from the weekend:
- Jones admits that he would have been a Florida Gator if the school offered him early in his recruitment. He is using that fact to help recruit 4-star wide receiver Nico Collins. Interesting approach.
- There are plenty of questions surrounding why Alabama would use a scholarship on a long snapper. Thomas Fletcher, the nation’s top long snapper, committed to Alabama this past Thursday. Fletcher attends IMG Academy, the home of major Alabama targets such as Dylan Moses and Robert Beal. Declining a commitment from Fletcher would likely be a bad look for Alabama at a school that produces multiple elite football prospects every year.
- Shaun Wade, a 5-star cornerback committed to Ohio State, told SEC Country that on his last visit he had a chance to talk to Alabama corner Minkah Fitzpatrick. The Tide star wants to see Wade in an Alabama jersey come next year. Though Alabama has tons of depth at the position, Fitzpatrick said Wade shouldn’t look at the depth chart. His message resonated with Wade. It’s going to be a battle with Ohio State for Wade, and Alabama is definitely in the race.
- Grant Delpit, a 4-star safety from IMG Academy, named Alabama one of his finalists with a commitment expected to come on July 10. Alabama is not a factor in his decision. He will not be choosing Alabama. It would be a complete shock if he went anywhere other than LSU.
- Wyatt Davis, a 5-star offensive guard, committed to Ohio State over Alabama on Friday. The Crimson Tide had lost ground over the past few weeks. He is still planning on taking an official visit to Alabama this fall. Look for the Tide to continue prioritizing 5-star tackle Isaiah Wilson and 4-star tackle Trey Smith.
All rankings are provided by the 247Sports composite unless otherwise noted.
Chris Kirschner covers Alabama football recruiting for SECCountry.com and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Follow him on Twitter for the latest on who’s on their way to play in Bryant-Denny.