TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Barring any added games, the University of Alabama softball team will play its final in-state opponent during the regular season when it hosts UAB on Tuesday evening.
It’s the second meeting between the teams, with the Crimson Tide pulling out a 4-0 victory at Mary Bowers Field on Feb. 27. This will complete the home-and-home series and Alabama’s in-state schedule having already faced Auburn and South Alabama.
Alabama’s only remaining non-conference game on the schedule is Southern Miss on April 18, although Coach Patrick Murphy might add some games to make up for rainouts.
Alabama is ranked No. 16 in the latest ESPN/USA Softball poll, and No. 15 in the USA Today/NFCA coaches poll.
- What: UAB (10-19-1) at Alabama (19-7)
- When: 7 p.m. ET, Tuesday
- Where: Rhoads Stadium
- Weather forecast: After the temperature was up near 80 degrees prior to Monday night’s storms, the forecast is for windy and cooler conditions. According to the Weather Channel there’s a slight chance of rain and the temperature should be near 50 degrees around game time.
What’s the best way to keep up with the games
Fans have numerous options:
Radio: 93.3 FM in Tuscaloosa.
Live video can be found on WatchESPN.
Live stats will be available.
Twitter updates: @AlabamaSB
What you should know
- Alabama leads the all-time series 22-0, with 12 wins in Tuscaloosa.
- Freshman Kaylee Tow has been a pleasant surprise so far, topping the Crimson Tide with a .362 batting average (25-for-69). She has 12 extra-base hits and her five home runs are tied with sophomore Bailey Hemphill for the team lead. Hemphill has reached base safely in 17 of her last 18 games, in part due to drawing team-leading 16 walks while hitting .333 (22-for-660 and knocking in 22 runs.
- Sophomore center fielder Elissa Brown is batting .321 with 15 runs scored and is 17-for-17 in stolen bases.
- Alabama’s team batting average of .268 is 12th out of 13 SEC teams. The 1.64 staff ERA is eighth.
- In the first RPI of the season, releasedMonday, Alabama was No. 26. All 13 SEC teams are in the top 35.
- Last week senior Peyton Grantham became the second Crimson Tide player to tally nine assists in a game this season, and third all-time. She had nine assists at third base in the March 14 win at Georgia Tech, less than a month after freshman Maddie Morgan had the same number while playing second base vs. Georgia State on Feb. 23.
Alabama Single-Game Assists
- Peyton Grantham at Georgia Tech (3/14/18): 9
- (tie) Maddie Morgan vs. Georgia State (2/23/18): 9
- (tie) Staci Ramsey at South Carolina (4/19/03): 9
- Kelley Montalvo vs. Memphis (2/7/09): 8
- (tie) Kelly Kretschman at Ole Miss (4/9/99): 8
- (tie) Kelly Kretschman vs. LSU (5/9/98): 8
- (tie) Christy Kyle at Arkansas (3/15/97): 8
- UAB sophomore outfielder Destini England was named Conference USA Player of the Week on Monday after she went 9-for-13 with eight RBI, four runs scored and hit three doubles in the series against UTEP. She hit .800 (4-for-5) with runners in scoring position and went 2-for-3 with the bases loaded.
- Alabama will host Ole Miss for a three-game series beginning Friday. The Rebels (13-17) are ranked No. 15 and 23 in the polls.
This story was updated to reflect updated polls released Tuesday.