Former Alabama assistant Bo Davis has been hired by the Detroit Lines to serve as their defensive line coach, the NFL team announced on Friday.
Davis, who held the same position with the Crimson Tide from 2007-10 and 2014-15, was fired by Nick Saban after being found responsible for NCAA violations. For his actions, he received a 2-year show cause penalty that expires on April 13, 2019, and the university fined itself $5,000.
Per SEC Country’s Marq Burnett, here is a complete list of penalties that were issued for Davis and the Crimson Tide football program:
- Public reprimand and censure for the university.
- A two-year show-cause period for the former assistant coach from April 14, 2017, through April 13, 2019. During that period, any NCAA member school employing the former coach in an athletics role, including his current school, must restrict him for all off-campus recruiting activities and require him to attend NCAA Regional Rules Seminars in 2017 and 2018.
- The former assistant coach requested an expedited penalty case to contest the length of his show-cause penalty. After the hearing, the panel determined the penalty was appropriate because the former assistant coach had a responsibility as a part of the NCAA membership to provide truthful information during the investigation and he failed to do so during the interviews.
- A withholding of the former assistant coach and his replacement from off-campus recruiting and telephone contact for 39 days, from April 22 through May 31, 2016 (self-imposed by the university).
- The former assistant coach involved in a Level III violation was prohibited from participating in any off-campus recruiting for 30 days from Sept. 25, 2015, through Oct. 25, 2015, and suspended from one game during the 2015 football season (self-imposed by the university).
- A disassociation of the booster (self-imposed by the university).
- A $5,000 fine (self-imposed by the university).
Davis spent the 2017 season at Texas-San Antonio, where he was the defensive line coach.
A graduate of LSU, Davis played for the Tigers from 1990-92.