Lane Kiffin, the outspoken Alabama offensive coordinator, had some funny things to say about his last trip to Phoenix on Saturday.
If you remember, Kiffin was infamously fired as USC’s head coach at the Phoenix airport in 2013, right after the Trojans lost, 62-41, to Arizona State.
Kiffin, who has a good sense of humor, joked about it to reporters at Saturday’s media day for the national championship:
“Last time I was here (in Phoenix), I got fired,” Kiffin told the TuscaloosaNews.com’s Cecil Hurt. “Time before that was for (USC’s) NCAA hearing. So, yeah, a lot of great memories (of Phoenix).”
Kiffin was asked specifically about being fired at the airport.
“I was a good 20 yards off the tarmac,” he joked with ESPN’s Sam Kahn Jr.
Kiffin has rejuvenated his coaching career while serving as Alabama’s offensive coordinator the past two seasons.
- Nick Saban confirmed Chip Kelly’s visit with Alabama coaches
- Clemson star: ‘Alabama is like a bully in middle school’
- Clemson lineman thinks another running back is better than Derrick Henry
- Will a top Alabama player have a change of heart and head to the NFL?
- Clemson DB on facing Alabama’s Calvin Ridley: “This isn’t my first rodeo”
- Kirby Smart gave Clemson QB Deshaun Watson a major compliment
- Alabama QB Jake Coker made a pretty bold statement about Nick Saban