TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Welcome to Bryant-Denny Stadium for SEC Country’s coverage of A-Day.
We’ll keep you updated on all the action in Saturday’s scrimmage between the Crimson and White. Kickoff is at 3 p.m. ET (ESPN).
Live updates (4Q)
- GAME RECAP
- FINAL (White 7, Crimson 3): Jalen Hurts comes through with a pair of first downs through the air, and the White come away with a 7-3 win at Bryant-Denny Stadium. Up next: Nick Saban’s postgame thoughts.
- 1:02 remaining (White 7, Crimson 3): Ronnie Harrison puts an exclamation point on the defense’s big day by leaping in front of Calvin Ridley for a game-saving interception. The White squad takes over at its own 5-yard line, and just needs to burn through the Crimson’s three timeouts for a victory.
- 1:14 remaining (White 7, Crimson 3): Cooper Bateman completes a clutch pass to Calvin Ridley on 4th-and-3, and the Crimson stay alive. He follows that with a deep strike ArDarius Stewart, bringing his squad within 13 yards of the end zone.
- 2:48 remaining (White 7, Crimson 3): Touchdown! Jalen Hurts completes a bullet to Derek Kief, who makes a tip-toe catch on the right sideline to give the White team its first points of the day.
- 3:26 remaining (Crimson 3, White 0): The longest play of the day is a combination of a completion and a penalty. Linebacker Rashaan Evans tips a Jalen Hurts pass into the arms of Cam Sims, who is immediately facemasked. The White squad moves 41 yards and now has a great chance to win the ballgame.
- 3:36 remaining (Crimson 3, White 0): The Crimson squad punts, and now the White team has the ball at its own 48-yard line with a chance to put a positive spin on a disappointing day.
- 6:02 remaining (Crimson 3, White 0): JK Scott is putting forth an MVP-type performance at A-Day. The punter dropped another 50-yard punt inside the 10 to pin the Crimson at its own 7-yard line. Cooper Bateman’s squad can likely end the game with a long drive here (we’re not holding our breath).
- 8:16 remaining (Crimson 3, White 0): A White rebuttal appeared impossible when Blake Barnett gave up a sack, but he fired a 26-yard pass to Xavian Marks for a first down, and then completed another chain-moving pass to move his squad across the 50-yard line.
- 10:55 remaining (Crimson 3, White 0): Adam Griffith hits a 21-yard field goal after the Crimson offense stalls, his first make in five tries today. The scoreboard no longer reads 0-0, but that was another disappointing ending for the offensive unit.
- 13:20 remaining (Crimson 0, White 0): Finally! David Cornwell hits Calvin Ridley on a deep corner route for 33 yards, and the Crimson team is on the White team’s 7-yard line. We could see our first points of the day.
- 1:41 remaining (Crimson 0, White 0): Two more disappointing drives have the Bryant-Denny Stadium crowd asleep. While the defenses have put forth an impressive effort, a lack of offensive efficiency is frustrating the ‘Bama faithful.
- 8:08 remaining (Crimson 0, White 0): New half, same results. Both the White and Crimson sides punt after fruitless drives.
- Statement from Nick Saban at halftime: “I’ve been impressed with the young guys at quarterback and their athleticism. They made some plays. I think we’re struggling a little bit on the first team. The first offense is having trouble with the first team defense up front. They’re distorting the timing of everything so the quarterbacks haven’t been able to operate. But Damien Harris has done a good job in the game, so there’s some good things. You know, I always say in the spring game when you don’t score a lot of points, everybody says you’re really bad on offense. Well, how about you’re maybe pretty good on defense.”
- Jake Coker dominates alumni quarterback competition
- Damien Harris (White) led all rushers with 16 carries for 91 yards in the first half.
- Blake Barnett (White) led all passers with five completions on nine attempts for 59 yards. Teammate Jalen Hurts went 4-for-7 for 42 yards, while adding 12 yards on the ground.
- The Crimson team mustered just 21 yards in 22 plays, while the White team had 196 yards in 40 plays.
- 0:00 remaining (Crimson 0, White 0): Jalen Hurts moves his squad into deep field goal range, and Adam Griffith misses his fourth field goal of the day (this one from 54 yards). Next up: the alumni quarterback competition.
- 1:06 remaining (Crimson 0, White 0): The Crimson squad gets foiled by the White defense again. Blake Barnett, Bo Scarbrough and Co. lose 14 yards before punting the pigskin away again. Jalen Hurts and the White squad take over at their own 37 with a little more than a minute remaining.
- 1:33 remaining (Crimson 0, White 0): Adam Griffith is now 0-for-3 on field goals after missing a 42-yarder. Not a good sign for the guy who started last season 0-for-4.
- 1:44 remaining (Crimson 0, White 0): Blake Barnett is moving the ball for the second time today, and Cam Sims helps him out with a spectacular leaping catch along the right sideline for 17 yards.
- 3:23 remaining (Crimson 0, White 0): You guessed it! Another three-and-out, as Cornwell overthrows Calvin Ridley on a bomb down the right sideline. JK Scott’s leg is somehow still attached, and he shoots a 59-yard rocket to shift field position once again.
- 3:57 remaining (Crimson 0, White 0): Blake Barnett re-enters for the White, and oversees a three-and-out that features a pass protection breakdown and an errant toss on a designed quick-release pass. Neither defense is budging.
- 6:14 remaining (Crimson 0, White 0): David Cornwell takes his first snap under center for the Crimson side, and is immediately sacked on a rollout by Tim Williams. He follows with a short completion to tight end Hale Hentges and then dumps off a doomed screen to Bo Scarbrough. Another punt coming up.
- 8:28 remaining (Crimson 0, White 0): Jalen Hurts is moving the ball with style. The true freshman quarterback used his legs — most notably on a diving attempt near the first-down marker — and arm to get the White in field position for its first points. Alas, Adam Griffith biffs his second field goal attempt of the goal, missing wide right from 47 yards.
- 15:00 remaining (Crimson 0, White 0): Derrick Henry delivered Alabama’s second Heisman Trophy during a special ceremony at the 25-yard line.
- 0:18 remaining (Crimson 0, White 0): Defense is winning the day thus far. Bateman — playing his third straight series for the Crimson — completes a pair of passes, but misfires on two deep balls and can’t move his squad past the 50-yard line. Punter JK Scott gets another chance to impress the crowd, and he comes through with a 46-yard kick that pins the White team at its own 7-yard-line.
- 5:01 remaining (Crimson 0, White 0): Jalen Hurts subs in for Blake Barnett as the White squad’s quarterback. The offense goes nowhere, and JK Scott rips his third punt of the day.
- 5:40 remaining (Crimson 0, White 0): The first-team offense continues to struggle against the first-team defense. Cooper Bateman and the Crimson squad go three-and-out.
- 7:34 remaining (Crimson 0, White 0): A promising drive for Barnett and running back Damien Harris ended in a blooper, as a shotgun snap flew through Barnett’s hands and resulted in a sack. Kicker Adam Griffith missed from 36 (wide left), disappointing a crowd that had come alive during a pair of long runs for Harris and a 2-for-2 performance through the air by Barnett. His first pass was a 13-yard dart between two defenders to wideout Derek Kief.
- 13:03 remaining (Crimson 0, White 0): Bo Scarbrough gets the game’s first two carries, collecting four total yards, before Ryan Anderson sacks Cooper Bateman to end the drive. Blake Barnett and White squad take over from their own 37.
- 15:00 remaining (Crimson 0, White 0): The Crimson win the coin toss, and elect to receive.
- 15:00 remaining (Crimson 0, White 0): Linebacker Ryan Anderson and safety Eddie Jackson (injured — leg) are captains for the White team, while tight end O.J. Howard and offensive tackle Cam Robinson are captains on the Crimson side.
- 15:00 remaining (Crimson 0, White 0): Rising junior Cooper Bateman is expected to start at quarterback for the Crimson, while rising redshirt freshman Blake Barnett is expected to start for the White.