TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama coach Nick Saban spoke to reporters following practice on Wednesday.
No. 1 Alabama travels to Fayetteville, Ark., on Saturday for a date with No. 16 Arkansas. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on ESPN.
Highlights from Saban’s time at the podium:
- We had a good practice yesterday. That continued today.
- Arkansas is the kind of team that tries to beat you with execution and good fundamental football. They do what they do very well.
- You have to execute very well and not make mistakes against a team like this.
- We don’t have any new injuries. Everybody is OK and moving in the right direction.
- We have confidence in Cooper Bateman as a backup quarterback. We don’t want to get Jalen Hurts hurt or anything. We’re going to continue to take advantage of his skillset. We can’t worry about guys getting hurt. It’s football.
- This is going to be a game where a guy like Joshua Frazier is going to play a lot. We have to continue to work with him on technique and other things. He’s done a good job at nose guard. We just haven’t played a lot of regular defense.
- I am absolutely positively against any early signing date. Especially a June date before a guy plays his senior year.
- On early signing date, Saban said a guy like Joshua Jacobs wouldn’t be on the team if the signing date was before a player’s senior year.
- We’re trying to execute and not do more than what Jalen Hurts is capable of doing. You want to put the game plan in and make sure the players can execute. That’s true for all players, but especially important for a young quarterback.
- Eddie Jackson has done everything we’ve asked him to do. We recruited him in high school with the idea that he’d play defensive back.
This post will be updated.