TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama coach Nick Saban held his news conference on Monday to open Chattanooga week.
The Crimson Tide (10-0, 7-0 SEC) hosts the Mocs on Saturday at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN2.
Highlights from Saban’s time at the podium:
- I don’t have any different comments than I had after the Mississippi State game. We obviously did some good things in the game, and made some explosive plays. Defensively, we did a good job of stopping their offense which isn’t easy to do.
- “You’re easy busy living or you’re busy dying.” We’re either going to get better or we’re going to get worse. We need everyone to work this week so we can improve as a team.
- We’re pleased Jalen Hurts was named SEC co-Offensive Player of the Week.
- Chattanooga is a good team. This is a game we need to focus on what we need to do technically as a team to get better.
- Joshua Jacobs played well in the game. He played well early in the year, but he had a couple of games where he didn’t have as much production. We’re pleased with how he’s playing. I think he looked like his old self on Saturday.
- I don’t think margin of victory should be something that’s taken into account with the playoff committee. It’s not good to embarrass a team or blow them out. That’s not a good thing for them or their families.
- I don’t think Alphonse Taylor will come back this season. I’m hopeful he can, but I don’t think he will be able to based on the time he’s missed. It’s a medical decision.
- Bo Scarbrough is dealing with a sprained knee. We’re going to continue to evaluate him. He was cleared to play in the last game. It’s not just about what the doctors say, it’s also about how the players feel.
- I think Tony Brown did a nice job in the game. I think there are still some things he can improve on like knowing his assignment and being accountable. I think he showed some improvement in those areas in the game.
- I think that being a conference champion is a significant thing for any team in any conference. But there are also some scenarios where a team can play well all year, and not win the conference championship. So should it be about the body or work or one game? Some leagues don’t even play a conference championship game. We won a national championship here and didn’t win the SEC. I think in that particular year, Alabama and LSU were the two best teams in the country. Both teams from the same division couldn’t play in the conference championship so we ended up playing in the national championship.
NEXT Alabama football: Tide’s coaching staff recognized 11 players following victory over Mississippi State