TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama held its second scrimmage of fall camp on Saturday in Bryant-Denny Stadium.
Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban spoke with reporters following the rain-soaked workout.
- The focus was to improve from last week to this week. A lot of players made significant improvement, but we’re still not where we need to be.
- We need to do a better job of not making the mental mistakes and turning the ball over.
- We had a lot of dropped balls today which is unusual for us. We need to throw it and catch it better.
- I thought the effort was better today. We got off to a slow start because we had a 30-minute rain delay.
- The ones played well, but we need some of the young guys to step up and provide depth.
- We have a lot of things to clean up between now and our first game against USC. “If you don’t fix your problems, they stay with you.”
- There are encouraging things with the quarterbacks. But we want to see more consistency. One day a guy is starting to pull ahead, but that changes the next day. We need a guy to go and do it every single day. The quarterbacks have to understand that you can’t make the plays that lose the game.
- All of the quarterbacks are capable. The person who can play with the most consistency will lead us in the first game against USC.
- Dalvin Tomlinson (ankle) didn’t scrimmage. Keith Holcombe (ankle) didn’t scrimmage. Cam Sims (knee) didn’t scrimmage.
- We need to clean up the penalties. We need to play better along the offensive line and be more physical. We need to get more consistency from the running back position.
- We didn’t tackle well at the start of the scrimmage. That’s uncharacteristic for us.
- I’ve been really encouraged by Hootie Jones and Deionte Thompson in the secondary. Trevon Diggs has played well. He’s working at safety and wide receiver.
- Anthony Averett has had a good camp. He’s done well at the third cornerback spot.
- We’ll probably play more freshmen this year than we have in a while.
- There are still three quarterbacks in the competition. We haven’t cut the list down yet.