TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama coach Nick Saban spoke to reporters following Alabama’s 48-0 win over Kent State.
Highlights from Saban’s time at the podium:
- The goal today was to play a complete game, start fast and finish. I think we probably did that as well as we’ve done it all year.
- The players were focused on offense, and we had three straight scoring drives right off the bat. The first play against the defense, we didn’t execute exactly right and they made a big play. But we got a stop.
- I’m very pleased that we got to play a lot of players. There are a few more we wish we could have played as well, but overall I’m pretty pleased with the way we played.
- The plan was to play Blake Barnett some in the second quarter no matter how the game was going. That was for his development as a quarterback that may have to play at some time down the road. He did some good things while he was in there. I thought Jalen Hurts played well.
- The only injury that we have is Damien Harris. He has an ankle sprain. He’ll be day-to-day. I don’t know what his status will be.
- ArDarius Stewart (knee) will probably start doing some work this week. It’s still questionable on if he’ll be ready to play this week vs. Kentucky.
- Robert Foster (knee) will be questionable vs. Kentucky as well.
- The execution was much better. We only had one false start today which was monumental. We did a good job of controlling the ball on offense. We had pretty good balance. We did a pretty good job of executing overall.
- Lyndell “Mack” Wilson has been playing fullback in short yardage situations all season. He made a nice play. I’m happy he was able to score a touchdown. I’m also happy he got to play a lot on defense which will help his development.
- Joshua Jacobs did a nice job today. B.J. Emmons got to play a little more. We would have played Bo Scarbrough a little more, but he got a thigh bruise. Those three guys will be the guys who have to get the reps if Damien is unable to go. They’ve all played a significant amount. I think they can do a good job for us.
- We’ve been wanting to give Xavian Marks an opportunity to get back there on punt returns. He had two balls hit the ground that gave them a lot of field position. Probably 50 yards worth. I know he had a return for a touchdown, and he’s an explosive guy. He’s got to make good choices and decisions because possession of the ball is important. We need more guys to be able to play on special teams so we don’t have to play starters. He made a good contribution today.
- Cam Sims did a nice job. He’s finally healthy. He’s getting some opportunities now. He made a good catch today. He’s a big guy with a lot of range and good hands.