TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama coach Nick Saban spoke to reporters on Monday to open Tennessee week. The Crimson Tide travel to Knoxville, Tenn. on Saturday for a date with the Volunteers. Kickoff is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. ET on CBS.
Highlights from Saban’s time at the podium:
- After watching the film, I don’t think we were really in control of the game. We couldn’t get off the field on defense in the second half. That’s not good no matter what the score is.
- We have a couple of guys who will be out today, probably. Hopefully they’ll be back tomorrow. Reuben Foster and Alphonse Taylor may need an extra day of rest.
- Texas A&M is a very good team. A sure top-10 team in the country.
- We have to be harder to score on going forward on defense.
- Alvin Kamara is an outstanding player to me. He’s very explosive with the ball. He’s a fantastic player who has a lot of production. He is used well in their offense which makes it difficult to defend them.
- Getting hit in the head or getting the wind knocked out of you weren’t big deals back when I was playing. We do a better job with monitoring player safety nowadays.
- Reuben Foster hit his head on the ground. I’m not sure how Alphonse Taylor got his concussion, and I didn’t see it on film.
- We didn’t play smart at times in the secondary. We didn’t execute very well at times. We need to have better execution and have better eye control. Players understand that. They certainly want to play better, and we want to help them play better.
- I don’t take JK Scott for granted at all. I respect the guy’s ability. We have a great respect for the work that he’s done. He’s a weapon for us in terms of controlling field position.
- It’s going to be important to control the game, and not let up at any point this week. No lead is safe with the way teams can score points.
- A Hail Mary is not a play you can take for granted. A lot of people think it’s a low percentage play, but you have to execute it. We practice it every day.
- Minkah Fitzpatrick is a very bright player and very instinctive. He’s played well for us. He has really good eye control. Probably as good as anybody as we have on defense. That helps him make plays. Some other guys want to make plays, but they have to understand that you have to execute in order to make plays.
This post will be updated.