TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — The University of Alabama’s games against LSU are always high-profile and high-hitting, and Saturday’s latest edition at Bryant-Denny Stadium was no exception.
Here’s some of what Nick Saban said during his postgame press conference following Alabama’s 24-10 victory:
• “Obviously a tough game. I told the players beforehand we hadn’t been tested in heart.” Give LSU’s players a lot of credit. Tough and physical game. A great win for us. A costly win for us.
• Inside linebacker Shaun Dion Hamilton (knee) and linebacker Mack Wilson (foot) are probably both out.
• On long run allowed, half the defense checked out of a call, half didn’t.
• Getting off the field on third down was a problem in the first half. Did better in second half.
• Jalen Hurts played a really good game. They played an eight-man front and tried to take his running ability away. He made some really good throws.
• We played the personnel groupings because of Minkah Fitzpatrick’s injury. Minkah kept begging him to play, but Saban let him only play in dime when he’s up near the line like a linebacker. The biggest risk for making the. injury worse would have been a long sprint. “The guy is a great competitor.”
• Discipline to execute is the most important thing, I don’t care how big the game is. The younger players on the team probably learned a little from that — Saban was talking about the dropped passes on that.
• Don’t know the extent of Minkah’s injury. Will probably have an MRI tomorrow.
• Punter JK Scott had a big game. The hang time and distance were really important.
• On pass rush – We have to do a better job. This is a very tough offense to make adjustments against. We did a good job against running game except for that one play.