TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — After being among the last teams to report for training camp, the University of Alabama football team held its first scrimmage of fall at Bryant-Denny Stadium on Saturday afternoon.
The scrimmage was closed, but Nick Saban addressed reporters afterward. Here’s some of what he said:
• A lot of guys got work today, but being inside so much the past few days due to rain has limited practice reps.
• “I think we can have a really, really good team.” Some guys played really, really well. Need to build on that.
• Punter JK Scott was fantastic. Kicking game needs some work. Have to develop confidence in that area. It’s not just the kicker, it’s the whole operation.
• We want every position to compete. It’s not one versus the other, it’s all about our team. If anyone gets emotional, you have no control about what happen. We want everyone to compete, but not lose their discipline and poise.
• RB Josh Jacobs (hamstring) was held out, might be out a few days. RB Najee Harris has a slight pull, will probably be back on Monday.
• Offense didn’t have a lot of rhythm, wasn’t consistent. Kind of one of those days, but a lot of good things to build in.
• We have some good players in the secondary — we’re trying to get them in the right spots and develop depth. It’s always good when you have guys with experience.
• Offensive line: Freshmen Leatherwood and Wills have done well in practice. They’re two guys who are probably going to be counted on to contribute this season.
• We had a couple of young guys who went completely rat-trap (Saban’s term for being overwhelmed) and couldn’t even get lined up. That’s part of it.