TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama coach Nick Saban spoke to reporters on Tuesday in his lone news conference of the Crimson Tide’s bye week.
Highlights from Saban’s time at the podium:
- This week is about grit and sustaining what you’ve been able to do and getting better at it.
- I always tells the players it’s not about doing it until you get it right, it’s about doing it until you can’t get it wrong.
- You can’t fall in love with what you’ve done. You have to focus on getting better because what you’ve done in the past won’t help you in the future.
- Eddie Jackson’s surgery went really, really well. He won’t have any future problems.
- Bradley Bozeman has done a nice job. I think he’s improved at making the calls, and helping us get everybody blocking the right guy.
- Blake Sims had just gotten released so he was looking to for a place he could work and get better. Based on our situation at quarterback, it was beneficial to have him here to help us.
- We’re going to have to do a good job upfront against a team like LSU. We don’t have as many big guys as we did last year. The big guys upfront are going to have to hold the point of attack. We’re going to have to tackle well. This is going to be a challenge for us.
- Avery Johnson has been great. He’s been a great addition to the community. He’s been open to sharing ideas as well. He’s been very helpful for us. It’s important for us to have a good relationship with the basketball coach. We want the program to be successful. We want all the programs to be successful.
- Asked about Minkah Fitzpatrick being at safety, Saban said the team is going to experiment this week and try to get the best group on the field.
- I’ve never considered myself as a conservative coach. We’ve always tried to do what our players could do both. We run a similar offense now to what we ran when Blake Sims was here. We want to feature our best players.
- Jonathan Allen has a lot of good attributes. If he continues to play the way he’s played, he’ll certainly get some national accolades. I hope he does get considered, and I think he’d be a great candidate for it.