TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama coach Nick Saban spoke for the final time during USC week at his weekly radio show on Thursday.
The show is held at Bob’s Victory Grille in Midtown Village. We’ll have updates on what Saban says here. Cecil Hurt of the Tuscaloosa News is the media guest host.
- We’re going to play the quarterback that gives us the best chance to win. I’ve never said anyone has eliminated themselves. We’ve never played three quarterbacks before.
- “We have a plan for what we’re going to do (with the quarterbacks). I would love to share it with you, but I’m not going to.”
- Jonah Williams can play anywhere on the offensive line. He could play center. He’ll probably end up there some day. He’s very talented, but he’s just a freshman.
- Ross Pierschbacher has a lot of experience. Bradley Bozeman is an experienced center. Lester Cotton is a young player with a lot of talent. Cam Robinson is the anchor at left tackle. We’ll get Alphonse “Shank” Taylor back soon. He’s a guy who’s started a lot of games for us.
- We recruited USC wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster here. He’s a great player. I love him.
- Gehrig Dieter is a lot like Richard Mullaney was last year. He’s a real crafty guy. He complements all of our guys very well.
- A big key to our team was getting Robert Foster back healthy along with Calvin Ridley and ArDarius Stewart. Those guys are all very talented and can make explosive plays.
- We need our young defensive lineman to develop because that’s where we lack depth.
- We have three guys who can rush the passer. We have six guys who are good at stopping the run. We need to develop more depth.
- Same goes for the secondary. We lost two guys who would have been in the two deep (Maurice Smith and Kendall Sheffield). Tony Brown will be back (from NCAA suspension) at some point. He’ll be a contributor for us. We need young players to step up.
- Ronnie Harrison and Eddie Jackson are both really good safeties. The issue there is developing depth. Ronnie was great at playing dime last year. Now we need to find more guys to play behind him. New people have opportunities so we need to see how those guys play, and help them develop.
- We made it as hard on the players as we possibly could during our preparation to get them ready for this game. “My head is still hurting from all of the noise we pumped into the indoor facility.”
- O.J. Howard has made a lot of improvement. I think he was a good player before, but each year has he become a more complete player. He’s gotten bigger and stronger. He didn’t play tight end much in high school, so it took him a little time to develop.
- I’ll be the first to admit that we should have gotten O.J. the ball more. We need to continue to use him because he’s a good player and a really good threat.