Live updates: What Nick Saban said after Alabama’s victory against Vanderbilt
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — University of Alabama coach Nick Saban discussed Saturday’s 59-0 victory at Vanderbilt in the SEC opener for both teams.
Here’s some of what he said:
Saban’s opening statement: Really proud of our players and how they responded. I’ve been saying, ‘we win, but…’ these past three games. I think Vanderbilt earned a lot of respect today. We had over 400 rushing yards and could have thrown it more if we needed to. Defensively, we had a lot of leverage over them. All in all, this was a pretty good win for us.
- On Raashan Evans and Anfernee Jennings: I thought they played well today. They have great leadership.
- On if he expected this big of a win: I thought this was our best week of practice on the defensive side of the ball. The way they like to play, it helped us that we got ahead of them early. I think that was a really big key.
- On running backs: Both Damien and Bo played well today. Josh Jacobs needs to get his rhythm back after being out with an injury.
- On the freshmen: Those guys were challenged the same way other guys have been. I think those guys played much better today than they have.
- What he learned today: I think we learned how to play with consistency today. We have to take it one day at a time. We have a 24 hour policy here that they can enjoy the win for that long.
- On third down defense: We have been successful when we have played our Dime package on third down. They had a lot of long third and downs today, which helped us. Couple of the penalties were disappointing today.
- On the passing game: I think we have to get better in the passing game. There were a couple of situations where it could have been better. I think if we continue to have long drives, it’s going to help us in the long run.