TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama held its 14th practice and its final workout before A-Day on Thursday. Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban met with reporters after the session to break everything down.
- Saban: This is my 10th A-Day and nobody here ever thought I would be here for a 10th A-Day.
- Saban: I do remember the first A-Day. Said it had a lot to do with the success of the program because of the fan support.
- Saban said it’s important to have a great crowd on Saturday because these players are just as important as the players of the past, and they deserve support as well. Said it would mean a lot to the current players if the fans showed up regardless of the weather.
- Saban said it’s going to be a special day. Expects a lot of former players and others associated with the university to be on hand for A-Day.
- Saban said he’s been pleased with the progress of the team this spring. Said a lot of players have gotten a lot of turns. Said that’s a positive, but there is still a long way to go.
- Saban said he thinks A-Day has a tremendous impact on recruiting. Said his first A-Day showed players that Alabama was a special place which helped jump start the program.
- Saban said there really isn’t any separation between the quarterbacks at this point. Said A-Day does matter in evaluating quarterbacks because the coaches get to see how they respond in a game-like situation.
- Did Saban expect to be here for 10 A-Days? “Yes. God willing.”
- Saban didn’t give much when asked about the running backs. Said both guys (Bo Scarbrough and Damien Harris) will be on separate teams so they can get a lot of turns.
- Saban asked about Blake Barnett and what he needs to do to make progress: Said all the quarterbacks need to take care of the ball and execute the offense. Said those things are important so they can develop confidence and so the team can develop confidence in them.
- Saban: There’s no timetable on naming a starting quarterback. Said it’s important to make sure someone wins the job instead of handing someone the position.
- Saban asked about inside linebacker opposite Reuben Foster: Said Shaun Dion Hamilton has done well, and doesn’t make a lot of mistakes. Said it’ll be important to get Rashaan Evans a lot of reps. Said he made some mental mistakes in the first scrimmage, but hopes he can learn from those things on A-Day.
Check back for updates.