TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama held its first spring scrimmage on Saturday in Bryant-Denny Stadium. Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban spoke with reporters following the scrimmage to break everything down.
- Saban: I can’t really say that I’m pleased with anything around here, but relatively speaking, this scrimmage was a lot like you’d expect it to be. Good things, and some things we need to clean up.
- Saban: The effort and toughness were good today.
- Saban: It’s not about the results. It’s about your goals, and what you need to do to improve.
- Saban: This gives us a good indication of where we are and where we can improve.
- Saban: Bo Scarbrough ran pretty well. Some of the young quarterbacks made some plays. David Cornwell threw the ball well.
- Saban: Mentions ArDarius Stewart as a receiver who had a good day.
- Saban on Bo Scarbrough: He’s got things he needs to improve on, but he’s capable of doing the things we need him to do. Said it’s about getting him more experience going forward.
- Saban on the secondary: Said Marlon Humphrey and Minkah Fitzpatrick are playing corner. Said Tony Brown is back at corner, and is playing safety. Said Maurice Smith is playing safety and star. Said Fitzpatrick is playing some star.
- Saban on QBs: No one has “taken the bull by the horns yet.” Said they’ll watch the film this weekend, and evaluate how to split the reps going forward.
- Saban mentions Lester Cotton and Korren Kirven as two offensive linemen who are playing well. Said he likes Ross Pierschbacher at center.
- Saban mentions young players like Dallas Warmack and Brandon Kennedy as two players along the offensive line who are playing well. Said Jonah Williams played left tackle with the first-team offense.
- Saban said he doesn’t feel like the team needs to tinker with the way Blake Barnett throws the ball. Said as long as it’s accurate, the motion doesn’t matter as much. Said Barnett has good enough arm strength to get the ball there.
- More Saban on Barnett and Jalen Hurts: Said it’s about playing within the system and not going “rat-trap” and thinking they have to make every play.
Alabama’s media relations staff provided statistics following the scrimmage. Since reporters aren’t allowed to watch the scrimmage, there is no context to these numbers.
Bo Scarbrough: 9 carries, 132 yards, 3 touchdowns
Jalen Hurts: 10 carries, 57 yards
Damien Harris: 12 carries, 36 yards
ArDarius Stewart: 7 catches, 100 yards, 2 touchdowns
Calvin Ridley: 3 catches, 50 yards
Dalvin Tomlinson: 8 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 pass breakups
Rashaan Evans: 8 tackles, sack
Reuben Foster: 7 tackles, interception
Ryan Anderson: 7 tackles, sack