TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama held its first scrimmage of fall camp on Saturday.
Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban spoke with reporters following the workout.
- With so many practices without any days off, the team is a little tired.
- The first teams executed very well. After that, we have guys who need to work on improving. We’re a work in progress when it comes to that.
- The good news is that this is an indication of where we are. It gives us a look at what we need to get better at.
- We have to be able to run the ball with more consistency.
- The rain affected the quarterbacks, but things improved as the day went on.
- We had to many penalties. This is the first time we had a full official crew.
- David Cornwell is still limited with the foot injury. The other three quarterbacks — Cooper Bateman, Blake Barnett and Jalen Hurts — received equal reps with both teams. Those are the three guys competing for the job now.
- Jalen Hurts did some good things out there today. He does some good things everyday. The key for the young guys will be to show some consistency and not turn the ball over.
- Dalvin Tomlinson twisted his ankle. He’ll be out for a couple of days. Da’Shawn Hand didn’t scrimmage today, but he should be fine on Monday. There are a couple of guys who have “light concussions.”
- Jonah Williams has done well in practice. He’s gotten bigger and stronger. Williams is working at right tackle. Both Alphonse Taylor and Bradley Bozeman have worked at right guard.
- Bo Scarbrough looked good early, but got dinged up and didn’t do much after that. B.J. Emmons is a naturally instinctive player who could contribute this year. We’re encouraged by the young running backs.