TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Here is my Associated Press Poll top 25 coming off of Week 1 of the college football season.
First, a few notes:
- I tried to start with a clean slate for the most part so there was a lot of movement for some teams. I used the preseason poll as a measuring stick, but didn’t let it control where I put teams.
- Alabama, Florida State, Ohio State, Clemson and Houston are my top 5. Alabama dominated a preseason top-20 team in USC. Florida State came back on, and pulled away from Ole Miss, who was ranked No. 11 in the preseason. Ohio State rolled a team it was supposed to roll. Clemson struggled at times against Auburn, but still found a way to win. Houston completely undressed an Oklahoma team that many believed would make the College Football Playoff.
- Oklahoma and LSU are still two of the top 25 teams in the country, but neither looked impressive. Houston manhandled Oklahoma at times on both lines of scrimmage. LSU is still having the same offensive issues the Tigers have had since 2011.
- Ole Miss and Notre Dame lost, but I still believe they are two of the 20 best teams in the country. Ole Miss lost in Orlando to the team I have ranked No. 2. That’s nothing to be down about. Notre Dame lost a shootout in double overtime to a Texas team that might be the most improved team in the country. Texas has a legitimate chance to win the Big 12 this season.
- Remember that we’re just coming off a Week 1. A lot will change between now and the end of the season.
If you want to yell and be mad online at me, follow me on Twitter, @Marq_Burnett.
2. Florida State
3. Ohio State
8. Michigan State
16. Notre Dame
17. Ole Miss
18. Oklahoma State
23. Texas A&M